[DeTomaso] Harmonic balancer

cengles at cox.net cengles at cox.net
Tue May 6 09:42:18 EDT 2014

Dear Boyd,

               About eighteen years ago, I recall that I replaced a bad
stock balancer with a similar balancer.   I was able to accomplish that
with the engine in place using some anti seize and the balancer bolt to
push it on.   I have since learned that is not the best technique
although it is a common one.   Also the space constraints of an in situ
balancer change may limit the options ton only the suboptimal balancer
bolt.

                            Warmest regards, Chuck Engles

On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 9:36 PM, Boyd Casey wrote:

> I just did some reading up on harmonic balancers and the post i read
> said
> the the balancer had to be press fit onto the crank. Can this be done
> with
> the motor in the car?
> Boyd
>

> On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 10:27 PM, Boyd Casey <boyd411 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The Romac is SFI rated. Is it unconventional? I afraid my knowledge
>> of
>> them is very limited. I know there are internal balanced and external
>> balanced , SFI-rated and non rated. What are the differences and what
>> do
>> they mean as far as performance or other factors that would be
>> important ?
>> Boyd
>>

>> On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 10:07 PM, Tony DiGiovanna
>> <tonydigi at optonline.net>wrote:
>>
>>> I think a good consideration is an SFI-rated conventional harmonic
>>> balancer.  Like the one from Pioneer for $176.  See summit racing.

>>> Thanks,