[DeTomaso] TEXAS BBORR RESULTS

michael frazier red3644 at hotmail.com
Sun May 4 20:56:20 EDT 2014

Well we didn't have a Pantera at BBORR this year, but I put together a hell of a
Vette team.  I was out there for 6 days and went straight back to work with no
decompression time, so it took me a while to write this.

This was a strange year from the beginning.  I have been giving the rookie class
for the last few years as well as doing the ride along rookie driver instruction/qualifying
stuff too.  That's the scariest part of the whole weekend for me... getting in a Cobra,
Ferrari, Tiger or NASCAR truck and telling them not to drop below 100mph for the next
10 miles of curves.  It's been interesting a couple of times over the years.  They
actually close down a section of Interstate 90 for the practice and qualifying sessions.
Last year we had a new ZR1 upside down on the far side of the railroad tracks.  You have to
really work at it to do that.  Try 165 in a 110mph curve.

The race is run on State 285 from Ft. Stockton to Sanderson and back.  118 miles in all.
The road has a pretty good surface for the most part, but has a lot of curves, blind crests,
and rock walled cut through the hills.  There are a couple of very tricky off camber turns
that seem to last forever.  More cars were off this year than I remember happening in other
years.  Two cars were total loses.  One Vette ended up upside down and one the the last
T-birds wound up way off course with heavy damage.  No serious injuries but lots of bruises
and cuts.

Both towns are really behind this event.  Facilities are great. Rooms are plentiful.
It's a busy weekend for everyone with all the parties, car shows and parade.
How you can make it one day.

If the stars align and I still have a job, I'm hoping to have the Pantera back out there next year.
We've put together big teams before and had great results.  They always ask when the
Panteras are coming back.  We'll see.

CBS was out there and did a nice little story...

https://tv.yahoo.com/video/speed-limit-comes-off-texas-004149507-cbs.html

Michael
Gruppo Rompiculi Corsa
Texas Corvette Association