[DeTomaso] Fw: Re: Need Help gerbox

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Sun May 4 11:52:34 EDT 2014

>From the photo, it is not the bob-weight problem that some people talk
about.  This appears to be a centerforce style clutch.  If you hear the
scratching at idle with the clutch pedal both out, and in, then
presumably it's -not- something inside the gearbox.  When you press the
clutch pedal and shift into a gear at a stop, it stops all the gears in
the transmission from moving.  So if the sound is still there, then it's
most likely something in the bellhousing, clutch area.

If the throw-out bearing is riding on the clutch fingers it may make a
noise.  If it fails to turn when the pedal is pushed in, it will make a
much larger noise.

The only other movable item is the pilot bearing inside the end of the
crankshaft.  However, when the clutch pedal is released, the input shaft
of the transmission is locked to the flywheel and crankshaft so you
shouldn't hear a noise, even if the bearing were bad.

My -guess- would be the throwout bearing is the problem as it's the only
possible item that can turn both with the clutch pedal out and in.

One other possibility though I'm not sure how it would make sound with
the pedal out.  If the clutch disk itself has been mounted backwards, it
will cause a big problem.  The clutch disk can only be mounted one way.
Some folks manage to get them on backwards but usually they can't get
the transmission to stop because the disk will be jammed and won't release.

With the engine running, at idle, transmission out of gear and the
wheels chocked, disconnect the slave cylinder from the clutch arm.  Move
the clutch arm so the throwout bearing should be totally clear of the
fingers on the clutch and see if the noise goes away.

Asa  Jay

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired
& Shelley Marie
Spokane, WA