[DeTomaso] Collector car Insurance

Pantdino pantdino at aol.com
Fri May 2 00:22:37 EDT 2014

It seems to me the role of Grundy, Hagerty, etc is to serve as an AGENT between you and the company.

I use Heacock Classic, which I think was called Parish Heacock 20 years ago when I first started working with them.

I have added or changed values of 4 cars in the last few years.  When I do I am assigned to an agent who discusses the car with me and asks for photos, which I email.  it is his job TO KNOW HOW MUCH CARS ARE WORTH AND WHAT MY CAR IN PARTICULAR IS WORTH.  I have never had a problem with the number I request, but I try to be realistic / conservative.

When you deal with the company directly you speak to a secretary who doesn't even know what a Pantera is and is not going to know what it is worth.  So she is taking your word for it that the number you give is accurate.  Once an accident occurs a bunch of bean counters who also don't know anything about classic cars will try to decide if what you said was fair.

The lesson is to get an agreed value policy thru one of the companies that deal with classic cars every day.

If you have to provide proof of what your car is worth you are dealing with the wrong people

Jim