[DeTomaso] Starter Replacement Options

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu May 1 21:18:46 EDT 2014

In a message dated 5/1/14 13 27 32, forestg at att.net writes:

> If you read carefully what he wrote he said that he would be jumpering
> from the cable connection at the starter to the small terminal on the unit
> mounted solenoid leaving the firewall solenoid as from the factory. When this
> is done the cable between the firewall solenoid and the starter is dead
> until the solenoid is energized.
>
>>>Perhaps it was left unsaid, but I assumed that the cable between the
firewall solenoid and the starter would be moved to the other side.

> > This then sends power to the starter and since the large cable is
> jumpered to it, it also energizes the starter mounted solenoid thus engaging the
> starter. This on the surface seems like a simple way to wire the starter.
> The problem is that because the starter is turning when you release the key
> the starter motor becomes a generator and feeds back to the solenoid
> keeping it energized for a few seconds until the start slows enough to drop out
> the solenoid. This was the method provided years ago by some of the vendors
> who could not explain why the starter would run on for a few seconds.
>
>>>Yes, you're exactly right.   I have a starter from Pantera Performance
Center, and their scheme had me taking the solenoid power from the starter
end of that cable, with a short (2 inch) jumper wire.   Just as you said, when
I would turn the key, power would flow down the main cable, reach the
jumper wire, and activate the solenoid on the starter, but when I released the
key, the starter would be very slow to disengage.

> >You have yours wired the correct way, as do I and many others, and that
> is why you have no problems.
>
>>>NOW I have no problems.   Well, except that my battery is a bit long in
the tooth and might want replacing before long....