[DeTomaso] Starter Replacement Options

Forest Goodhart forestg at att.net
Thu May 1 16:26:19 EDT 2014

Mike,
If you read carefully what he wrote he said that he would be jumpering from the cable connection at the starter to the small terminal on the unit mounted solenoid leaving the firewall solenoid as from the factory. When this is done the cable between the firewall solenoid and the starter is dead until the solenoid is energized. This then sends power to the starter and since the large cable is jumpered to it, it also energizes the starter mounted solenoid thus engaging the starter. This on the surface seems like a simple way to wire the starter. The problem is that because the starter is turning when you release the key the starter motor becomes a generator and feeds back to the solenoid keeping it energized for a few seconds until the start slows enough to drop out the solenoid. This was the method provided years ago by some of the vendors who could not explain why the starter would run on for a few seconds.
You have yours wired the correct way, as do I and many others, and that is why you have no problems.
Forest