[DeTomaso] Starter Replacement Options

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu May 1 14:35:03 EDT 2014

In a message dated 5/1/14 9 24 21, forestg at att.net writes:

> If you do this the starter will run on after releasing the key from the
> start position leading to damage to the starter.
>

>>>Uh...what?

The main battery cables from the battery to the starter are connected on
the non-switched side of the stock solenoid.   The only function here is to
serve as a connector for the two cables (and provide power for the solenoid).

When the key is turned, the voltage crosses the stock solenoid and goes to
the output lug.   In the past, this voltage then went down to the starter
via the thick cable, but now a smaller wire is the only thing on this lug, and
the power goes to the solenoid on the new starter, activating it.

As soon as you release the key from the spring-loaded 'start' position,
power across the stock solenoid is interrupted, meaning that power from the
output side lug to the solenoid on the new starter is interrupted.

So, there is no way for the starter to 'run on' as you suggest.

Mike (been wired this way for years, and no I'm not smart enough to figure
this stuff out on my own, I read the diagram that came with the starter...)
:>)