[DeTomaso] NPC interesting article

Sean Korb spkorb at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 10:53:04 EDT 2014

I think the article is a lot of wishful thinking.  There are some fair
points to be sure but a few things stand out for me that are not mentioned
in the article.

Millennials don't have any money.
http://www.advisorperspectives.com/dshort/updates/Household-Incomes-by-Age-Brackets.php

While it does look dire, if you compare that to the cost of a new car, you
can see that the barrier to entry is that much higher as a percentage of
income.

Disturbing as well is why would you invest so much money into a disposable
item?  That is, why would I put up $22k (close to yearly income) for a base
model car that is an actual depreciating liability, but taxed as an asset?

There is also a declining amount of "fun" you can have informally with a
car.  We do have formal and safe events and that is a good thing, but
speeders are routinely caught, doing doughnuts in your cul-de-sac or in the
mall parking lot is no longer a "boys will be boys" (or girls) affair.
You're going to jail.

Nobody works on cars.  Well, we work on cars but the barrier to
understanding them is low and we grew up in a culture where you changed
your own oil and spark plugs and checked fluids before long trips (and had
to sometimes).  Now cars are very reliable and the only time you have to
interact with your car at this intimate level is when something horrible
happens.  Overheat your car?  The head warps and your car is trashed.
Never change your oil?  Big deal.  The damn thing will last 150K easy and
you can unload it on some other poor sot.  Even your tires are designed to
last 60,000+ miles.  You don't get a relationship with a mechanic if you
never see one save to give your car last rites.

For heaven's sake, you're not even *allowed* to look under your hood
anymore.  Open the hood?  Well, there's another hood underneath your hood
with a few labels that while they don't say "no user serviceable parts
inside" they are also not inviting.

Wow.  Rant much?  I need to stop oversleeping.

sean

--
   [1]http://www.advisorperspectives.com/dshort/updates/Household-Incomes-

   On Sun, Mar 30, 2014 at 10:32 AM, Charles Engles <[2]cengles at cox.net>
              Thanks for sharing.  That is an excellent analysis of Young
     People
     and Cars.   It is not the same as our youth.  It is a problem for
     the car
     makers, but it is a problem for car clubs from BMWCCA to POCA.
                         Warmest regards,  Chuck Engles

   --
   Sean Korb [10]spkorb at spkorb.org [11]http://www.spkorb.org
   '65,'68 Mustangs,'68 Cougar,'78 R100/7,'60 Metro,'59 A35,'71 Pantera