[DeTomaso] Amazing find!

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Mar 25 14:18:41 EDT 2014

In a message dated 3/25/14 7 53 25, terry.himes at jpl.nasa.gov writes:

> Mike, where can I get those seats!
>

>>>Yes, they were fairly radical-looking, and presumably not very
comfortable, so they didn't make it into production.   The thing is, De Tomaso had
already produced quite a few of these (steel, not aluminum) shells.   Not
wanting to waste anything, these were upholstered in the conventional manner,
and became the factory racing seat as fitted to the Gr4 race Panteras.   A few
European owners bought leftovers from the factory to fit to their street
cars.

Bill Milburn owned a '72 Euro GTS that was the factory Geneva show car;
when I was at his house years ago taking a million photos of it, he showed me
some other bits and bobs that had come with it, including one of the factory
racing seats.   I was amazed to see a row of holes running all the way down
the back and the bottom, evenly spaced--a pair of holes for each of the
horizontal bars from the prototype design....