[DeTomaso] NPC: Senna

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Mon Mar 24 21:58:18 EDT 2014

I too, after having many people tell me about the movie, managed to get
a copy from the Library a couple weeks ago.

In contrast, I still think he had some arrogance that caused him
problems.  What I saw was a man who appeared to be brilliant at
controlling an F1 race car, especially in the rain.  Whether that was
due to a better understanding of control or just bigger balls is
debatable.  I think back to things I've read with regard to Carrol
Shelby and it's been nearly the same, they both appeared to know how to
drive it in deep and make it stick despite the conditions.  Both
appeared to have bigger balls than the next guy.  And I think Senna
carried some of that ability as an air of arrogance with him.

I think what solidified some of that for me was when F1 began changing
the cars and Senna began having driving issues.  He didn't appear to
"adapt" very well and I think his career began to suffer from it due to
his arrogance.  Eventually, either through adapting or due to additional
changes in the cars he continued to be the darling star of F1, even if
it wasn't who the politicians thought it should be.

To the politics, he simply didn't fit the mold.  I found it inequitable
for F1 to blatantly change rules to give Prost an advantage.  I think
that caused Senna frustration, like it would any other driver.  I think
both he and Prost had a chip on their shoulder but I think Senna was the
better more ballsy driver.

But I still think he was arrogant.
Asa  Jay

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired