[DeTomaso] Wiper Problem Update

Richard Greenblum pantera at austin.rr.com
Mon Mar 24 14:42:44 EDT 2014

All,

Bill Bitner came over to help with diagnosing the wiper problem and helping
me install a Jon Haas fuse panel.  I found a terminal with two green wires
that appeared to be female, but actually also had a male component that
another terminal was connected to with a red/black wire.  We separated the
two and with a continuity check found that it was the wire going from the
fuse panel to the wiper switch.  I can't be sure, but it appears that it
might have been connected to the panel and was paired up and providing power
to two circuits.  We looked on the wiring diagram and only found one
red/black wire coming off the fuse panel to power the headlight motor.

At this point, we swapped out the OE fuse box for the PE fuse panel, but
still had the double green wire and the red/black wires to deal with.  We
connected the green wire per the PE instructions and I now have wipers!
Before connecting up the red/black wire, Bill strongly suggested trying the
headlights first because while the wipers weren't working, the headlights
had been.  They worked despite the red/black wire hanging loose.  I haven't
gone into the front left fender panel to look at the colors of the wires at
the motor yet.

Next project will be to install the PE headlight panel, but that will be
more challenging.  Many years ago, I had the "Mike Drew" headlight relay kit
installed, so I don't get to start from the factory setup.  If I run into
problems, I'll have to email Jon and beg for helpŠ

Like everyone else has reported, Jon's fuse panel is really cool.  My finger
tips will be hurting for another day or so I'm sure, but what an
improvement.  I won't have to worry about a fuse simply refusing to work,
pulling over, and spinning the darn things again.

I haven't figured out why I lost all power to the lights, flashers, horn,
blinker, etc., during my last test drive yet, but I also haven't tried
duplicating the problem.  Bill made a good suggestion which I'll do
next‹remove, clean, and replace the shunt I have across the back of my amp
gauge.  I couldn't find anything wrong with the ground stud under the dash
on the driver's side.  Years ago, I added a line from there to the steering
column to add another contact point in the bundle.  It probably does nothing
but make me feel like I tried to help.

Richard
Austin, TX