[DeTomaso] Pantera GTS featured in May Classic Motorsports

Will Kooiman will.kooiman at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 16:12:28 EDT 2014

Hot Rod did a Ford vs. Chevy shootout in Jan 2010.  They compared popular
engines with factory builds.

They made an honest effort to duplicate what the factory did in the 70's -
factory cams, compression ratios, etc.

The 1970 351 Cobra Jet, which was rated at 300HP did 365HP.  It had 11-1
compression.
The 1971 351 Boss, which was rated at 330HP did 383HP.

Our 72-74 351C engines probably had 9.5-1 compression.  I think that's how
mine measured.  I checked, but I don't have the details in front of me.

At any rate, it isn't too much of a stretch to claim 350HP for a 72-74
351C - as long as you're not talking about rated HP.