[DeTomaso] Tefba Coolant Filter

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Thu Mar 13 00:52:53 EDT 2014

   I would highly recommend it.  In contrast to what some have said
   concerning using clean fluids and not having to worry, I beg to
   disagree.
   As others have pointed out, who actually -use- these, they work great
   and will find things in your cooling system you never thought should be
   in there.
   One engine, complete with water pump, a swirl tank, an overflow tank, a
   radiator, some 40' or more of plumbing... it's amazing what you can
   find in there.
   Here is a photo of the long tubes under the car before I replaced them
   with brand new stainless from Hall (thanks to Bob Benson for the gift
   certificate).  Stop leak had been used at some point, the coolant had
   probably boiled over at some point and nastiness like this is created:
   [1]http://www.teampanteraracing.com/index.php?option=com_g2bridge&view=
   gallery&Itemid=57&g2_itemId=2474
   A lack of circulation and a small amount of air in the system can
   generate things like this rusted heater hose connection, complete with
   hole in the side:
   [2]http://www.teampanteraracing.com/index.php?option=com_g2bridge&view=
   gallery&Itemid=57&g2_itemId=2525
   Failure to change coolant regularly and clean out the system can result
   in tanks with holes barely held closed with schmutz:
   [3]http://www.teampanteraracing.com/index.php?option=com_g2bridge&view=
   gallery&Itemid=57&g2_itemId=2672
   This is that same tank after it was "tanked" by a radiator shop:
   [4]http://www.teampanteraracing.com/index.php?option=com_g2bridge&view=
   gallery&Itemid=57&g2_itemId=4393
   After putting in:
   - brand new pipes
   - brand new hoses
   - brand new radiator,
   - tanked and cleaned swirl tank
   - replacement tanked and cleaned overflow tank
   - new coolant
   - new water pump
   - new heater hose bib
   I drove the car for one season, with perhaps 1,500 miles maximum and
   this is what the TEFBA filter caught:
   [5]http://www.teampanteraracing.com/index.php?option=com_g2bridge&view=
   gallery&Itemid=57&g2_itemId=4402
   After another year or so and more miles on the car I checked it again
   and found more particles:
   [6]http://www.teampanteraracing.com/index.php?option=com_g2bridge&view=
   gallery&Itemid=57&g2_itemId=4874
   Eventually, I might get all the junk out of the cooling system but I'm
   not counting on it.  I'll be leaving the TEFBA filter in for probably
   as long as I own the car, it's really cheap and it makes me feel good
   when I can see crap in it and get it out of my car.
   I'd strongly recommend one.
   Asa  Jay
   Pantera Research Institute - Pacific Northwest Satellite Office
Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired
& Shelley Marie
Spokane, WA
[7]http://www.racingagainstautism.com