[DeTomaso] Tefba Coolant Filter

Larry Finch fresnofinches at aol.com
Wed Mar 12 14:18:16 EDT 2014

Mike,

I installed a Tefba 5-6 years ago, filtering the coolant on a rebuilt engine and Quella radiator with about 30K miles on them at time of install.

While the screen has trapped some debris, it has been minimal and probably of little significance. But, others (Asa Jay?) have trapped notable debris with their Tefba.

It goes in the top engine bay coolant line that comes off the thermostat. I've attached a - blurry - photograph that hopefully the list
software will pass along to the list recipients.

Our little rust-prone Italian hot rods use 1 3/8 inch coolant hose. Unless their offerings have changed, Tefba does not have a unit
for our size hose. So common approach around that issue is to buy the 1 1/2 inch version and then encourage our rubber hoses
to expand enough to fit. Boiling water, sunlight heat soak, lubricant... but it can be done.

I went another route and used silicone hose reducers. Look closely at the photo and you will see the silicone-specific 'T' bolt hose clamps
that always should be used with any silicone hose.

My eBay and Google searches led me to one vendor that has an astonishing variety of silicone hose offerings:

www.autosiliconehoses.com

They are in the UK, but shipping is very quick. I just could not find the reducers from a USA source. That may have changed.

(When I relocated my two coolant tanks to install my Spectre dual-intake plenum and K&N filters, I found 45 degree silicone elbows
made the piping much easier, too.)

The 'T' bolts can be found much more readily here in the USA.

I used a 38mm to 35mm reducer. Here's a link -

http://tinyurl.com/pjw8ppm

Hope this helps some.

Larry