[DeTomaso] On the scrounge...

Kirby Schrader kirby.schrader at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 13:49:43 EDT 2014

I've shared this with a couple of other interested folks already, but
here's what I know now....

 - The Bassett wheels are lug centric; not hub centric. They need to be
balanced that way. Anybody that has a Hunter balancing machine (or similar)
has a lug centric adapter. Just because I've never seen one doesn't mean
squat... They exist and I looked up locations on Hunter's website. Seems
any Discount Tire, for example, has a lug centric balancing system.
Apparently many European cars are using lug centric wheels these days. Once
again, I learned something!

 - I've been measuring back spacing incorrectly. I thought it was from the
bead where the tire seals to the mounting surface. Again, that's BS. It's
from the outer edge/lip of the wheel. The Bassett guy said you lay the
wheel on the garage floor (no tire!) and measure from the floor to the
mounting surface. Makes about a 1/2" to 3/4" difference from what I
measured! Before you ask, he said that's the industry standard and I found
several websites which agree with this. Once again, you learn something new
everyday.

 - Yes, their wheels require special lug nuts. 45 degree bevel vs 60 degree
standard. No big deal. I'll order new ones from them.

 - When I mentioned they were for a Pantera, the Bassett guy, Steve,
recommended the Inertia wheel over the D hole wheel because it had more
brake cooling area. He said lots of people from POCA ordered the Inertia
wheel. I have to call him back tomorrow since the Inertia model shown on
their website doesn't have as many width and back space options. You
know... I have to go and measure my backspacing the correct way tonight!
:-)
I'm not bothered either way which wheel design I end up with.

 - They have tons of room for big Wilwood calipers. Their drop center for
tire mounting is past the mounting face to the outside. No problem and
Steve confirmed they make their wheels specifically to clear Wilwood
calipers for all the racing guys. I need a minimum of 14"; they have 14.75".

Once I confirm back spacing numbers tonight, I'll order a set tomorrow.

Oh, and if you read their FAQ, you'll see that most of their wheels are
_not_ DOT approved, although they have some that are.

Thanks for the lead.

Kirby

-------------- next part --------------
   I've shared this with a couple of other interested folks already, but
   here's what I know now....
   A - The Bassett wheels are lug centric; not hub centric. They need to
   be balanced that way. Anybody that has a Hunter balancing machine (or
   similar) has a lug centric adapter. Just because I've never seen one
   doesn't mean squat... They exist and I looked up locations on Hunter's
   website. Seems any Discount Tire, for example, has a lug centric
   balancing system. Apparently many European cars are using lug centric
   wheels these days. Once again, I learned something!
   A - I've been measuring back spacing incorrectly. I thought it was from
   the bead where the tire seals to the mounting surface. Again, that's
   BS. It's from the outer edge/lip of the wheel. The Bassett guy said you
   lay the wheel on the garage floor (no tire!) and measure from the floor
   to the mounting surface. Makes about a 1/2" to 3/4" difference from
   what I measured! Before you ask, he said that's the industry standard
   and I found several websites which agree with this. Once again, you
   learn something new everyday.
   A - Yes, their wheels require special lug nuts. 45 degree bevel vs 60
   degree standard. No big deal. I'll order new ones from them.A
   A - When I mentioned they were for a Pantera, the Bassett guy, Steve,
   recommended the Inertia wheel over the D hole wheel because it had more
   brake cooling area. He said lots of people from POCA ordered the
   Inertia wheel. I have to call him back tomorrow since the Inertia model
   shown on their website doesn't have as many width and back space
   options. You know... I have to go and measure my backspacing the
   correct way tonight!
   :-)
   I'm not bothered either way which wheel design I end up with.
   A - They have tons of room for big Wilwood calipers. Their drop center
   for tire mounting is past the mounting face to the outside. No problem
   and Steve confirmed they make their wheels specifically to clear
   Wilwood calipers for all the racing guys. I need a minimum of 14"; they
   have 14.75".
   Once I confirm back spacing numbers tonight, I'll order a set tomorrow.
   Oh, and if you read their FAQ, you'll see that most of their wheels are
   _not_ DOT approved, although they have some that are.
   Thanks for the lead.
   Kirby

   You can get those wheels in any width, any offset. Sorry I didn't twig
   to the fact you have a narrow body car.A
   Mike
   Sent from my iPhone
   On Mar 9, 2014, at 13:49, Kirby Schrader <[2]kirby.schrader at gmail.com>
   wrote:

   Noa|. Those wonat work, Mike.
   I do not have a Group 4.
   I have GTS flares on the car.
   I can go measure, but I think those wheels would have the tires
   sticking out the side of the car.
   The rears, for sure.
   The fronts maybea|.

     In a message dated 3/9/14 6 49 55, [4]kirby.schrader at gmail.com
     writes:

     Iam looking for a second set of wheels for the race car.

     >>>What you want are Bassett wheels.A  They make fantastic wheels
     that are, when painted appropriately, a rough approximation of the
     factory Gr4 wheels.
     Wheel spec below.
     2 15"x13" D-Hole style with 5.5" back spacing....$109 each
     2 15"x10" D-Hole style with 4.5" back spacing....$92 each
     All with a 4.5"bolt pattern.
     Somewhere there's photos of a fantastic blue Gr4 clone wearing those
     wheels, in gold.A  I couldn't find that on my hard drive (it's