[DeTomaso] GT5 S AmeriSport VIN # Update of 3/3/14

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Mar 5 17:16:37 EST 2014

In a message dated 3/3/14 9 17 2, montana at montanas.com writes:

> I found the VIN Plate from the Factory of my AmeriSport 1987 GT5 S.
> #:  ZDT874000GA009459
>
>>>Hmm, interesting!   I had quite forgotten that towards the tail end of
production, De Tomaso changed the front part of their numbering scheme.   I
knew the Pantera Si used a slightly different setup but forgot that the late
GT5-S did as well.

Most Panteras have a VIN that starts with THPN.   For instance, the first
GT5-S (Charlie McCall's car) is THPNCA09375.

TH:   De Tomaso Modena
PN:   Pantera
C:   Year of production (1985 in this case)
A:   Month of production (I can't remember)

09375:   sequential build number (which started either with 1000 or 1001).

But as the various nations of the world insisted on more characters in the
VIN, evidently the numbering scheme changed.   I just didn't remember it had
changed early enough to capture the later GT5-S cars.

> >After reviewing prior posts, I am now confident that this Pantera is a
> "9000" Series GT5.
>
>>>Specifically, yours is #9459 (GT5-S, not 'just' a GT5).   Carry that
with pride! :>)

> >Again, thanks to all for the info on the Targa and the GT5 Serial #
> questions.
>
>>>Okay, so how about some photos of your car? :>)

Cheers!