[DeTomaso] GT5-S Targa Info Request of 2/7/14 - RE: DeTomaso Digest, Vol 116, Issue 25

Mike Thomas mbefthomas at comcast.net
Sun Mar 2 14:36:32 EST 2014

Gary Herrig, member of Panteras Northwest, had one of the two Pavesi targas
to reach the US for about three years.  I wrote the Profiles article for
him, and while he had the motor out and interior stripped, counted no less
than 38 pieces of structural steel added to the car to add stiffness, the
most substantial of which were two 3/8" by 6" steel plates that ran the
length of the rocker, and actually extended at least an inch below the
bottom of the stock rocker, making speed bumps a bitch on a car already that
low.  I can only guess how much weight all that steel added to the car.  I
only recall bits and pieces, but it seems there was something about the
specs and plans coming with the car when it first came to the country, but
being purloined for a substantial sum by Gary Hall, who eventually used some
version to create his purple targa.  Please, fill in the blanks as you wish.
I do recall reading that the whereabouts of the plans were unknown at that
time, and no idea if they've surfaced since.

Looking at the underside of Gary's car, I often wondered if some kind of
angled piece, rather than the flat one that ended up sticking down below the
car, could have been fashioned to provide the same strength.  It certainly
didn't add to the looks of the car.

Mike Thomas
VP, POCA
VP, Panteras Northwest