[DeTomaso] Colotti 4 speed

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Mar 2 12:41:43 EST 2014

In a message dated 3/2/14 8 03 21, gaino at earthlink.net writes:

> http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail.cfm?LOT_ID=HA0414-184930&
> utm_source=emv&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=HA0414-S147.1   I never heard of a
> Colloti 4 speed?
>

>>>That was the Achilles heel of the original GT40.

The GT40 was built in a hurry, and at the time the only available gearbox
that would seem to do the job was an Italian four-speed.   It quickly showed
that it was not up to the task, and Ford arranged for ZF in Germany to
design and build an all-new purpose-built gearbox for the GT40.   The thing is,
there was a bureaucratic hangup, and the contract was never finalized but
Ford apparently didn't know it.   So seven months went by, and Ford finally
asked, "Where are our gearboxes" and ZF's reply was "What gearboxes?   You
never actually placed the order?"

Or something like that.

So the cars had to suffer even longer with the woeful Colotti unit.   Once
the ZFs arrived, there was no looking back.

The small-block cars would often fail to finish races due to head gasket
failure; it took years for Ford to crack that nut.   In the interim they
shifted gears (figuratively speaking) and went for a big-block 427 solution.
They believed the ZF was incapable of handling the torque, and so they
designed and built their own four-speed transaxle (made by Kar Kraft), which
utilized standard Ford toploader four-speed gearbox internals.

Ironically, due to improper heat treatment of some gears, initially the Kar
Kraft gearboxes failed and put the cars out.   But once that minor niggle
was sorted, they became unbeatable.   Which is why the rules were changed to
simply outlaw large displacement, which effectively outlawed the GT40.

Who would have guessed that Ford (well, actually Ford was pretty much out
of the GT40 business by then, and it was really John Wyer Associates, JWA)
then would have spiffed up the by-now-old and always-overweight GT40, fit it
with wider wheels and bigger brakes, and a more thoroughly developed 302
engine, and go on to win for two more years?