[DeTomaso] Double Messages

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Sat Mar 1 20:43:59 EST 2014

   No, it's not AOL.  It's the limitations of the Mailman server software.
   Mailman isn't actually designed to handle html messages very well.  It
   was originally designed as a text only mail forwarder.  So what's
   happened?
   Well, in allowing html and attachments, the archiver can't cope and
   stores the messages as html, which created complaints from those who
   browse the messages by going to the server and not receiving emails
   directly.  So we had to switch a setting to re-parse the html emails
   into plain text.
   So, now they populate properly in the archive but often the text is
   duplicated in the messages forwarded to the list.
   I've monkeyed with it a few times but haven't been able to make it work
   any better.  I could probably set it all back to how it was, not
   allowing photos or any other attachments through and it might return to
   normal.
   Honestly, it's nearly amazing that Mailman is still supported with all
   the forums and other email forwarders out there today, and there isn't
   any kind of user interface updates, mostly just bug fixes and security
   enhancements.
   What does everybody like better?
   Asa  Jay
Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired