[DeTomaso] 15 Tires

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Mar 1 13:15:16 EST 2014

In a message dated 2/28/14 10 42 31, steve at snclocks.com writes:

> The 255's look to be the most logical choice, but does anyone have any
> comments on the 295's - are they an option, given I will be going with 8
> inch wide rims?
>

>>>The Pre-L cars came with (by today's standards) laughably skinny and
tall tires, sized 185/70 front and either 215 or 225/70 rear.   The L-model
cars switched to 'low-profile' tires, sized C 60 and H 60, which corresponds to
215/60 front and 255/60 rear.

Those would probably give the best handling feedback and would be the most
'right', although they still look rather undersized by today's standards.

While the 295/50 will fit on an 8-inch rear and lots of people use them,
they are arguably too wide for that relatively narrow wheel; they really
prefer a 10-inch wheel.   Similarly, a popular upgrade for the front is 225/50,
but that also prefers a wider wheel, i.e. 8-inch.

All other things being equal, if you have the stock 7/8 inch wheels, I'd
probably shoot for a 215/60 and 255/60 combo.   BFG is the only outfit that
offers those sizes, I think, and while they are not the best tires in the
world, they are more than adequate for street driving, and they are leagues
better than anything that was available when the cars were new.