[DeTomaso] NPC: Others taste in cars.

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 1 11:33:57 EST 2014

There has been an Alpha 11 version on eBay on and off for some time now, supposedly cost $370K to build. The problem with this and the likes of Ford GT Twin Turbo's or Lamborghini TT Underground conversions is a) Sellers actually believe they can recoup most or all of the upgrade costs and b) you just know that cars that have had that done have likely been thrashed at some point.
On the GTR specifically no doubting it is a great car, I have recounted previously that I raced my Ultima in SCCA time trials against one and couldn't figure out initially what I had to do to keep up with him. Once I got behind I sure didn't want to be there, the car was literally driving him with all the traction control, the back end weaving from side to side to continually auto recover. This guy was determined I wasn't going to get by, but in the end he just pushed it too hard and spun. At a later event early in 2013 I heard he lost it completely on the Ess's at Reno-Fernley, went off into the dirt heading straight for the flag station at turn 2, but there's a gulch running through there, the result was car was totaled with bent chassis.
Julian

Here's a video about that GTR.  I bet that it is a blast to drive, but
destined to drastically depreciate.

http://youtu.be/cpQ5kQWTinY

Michael Shortt

Here's a video about that GTR.  I bet that it is a blast to drive, but
destined to drastically depreciate.

[1]http://youtu.be/cpQ5kQWTinY

Michael Shortt