[DeTomaso] Jay Leno's garage

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Jun 23 16:51:04 EDT 2014

In a message dated 6/23/14 13 00 23, dave at damardirect.com writes:

> What did they use (type of vehicle) to shoot the outside of the Pantera,
> as you were driving.
>

>>>Normally they (seemingly) work hard to keep the camera car from
appearing in the finished video, but in this one, there is a very, very clear view
of it partway through, starting at about 21:12.

It's a Ford SUV.   My understanding is that when manufacturers start
producing a new vehicle, they do a 'dry run' and run some high number (hundreds)
of cars down the production line, to test the manufacturing process and
evaluate the quality of the finished product.   These cars are normally destroyed
(by the thousands each year) as they aren't legal to be sold to the public.
  But the manufacturer can retain them for their own purposes.

Jay told me that Ford loaned them this SUV; I am presuming it is one of
these preproduction vehicles as it still wears the manufacturer's license
plate.   You can see that they blew all the windows out of the right side and
rear, and built camera mounts on the inside.   There is a fixed camera on a
boom attached to the outside of the right door, and one camera out the rear and
another camera out the side.   It retains its windshield so I don't exactly
know how they got the shots of the car from the rear, but I suspect they
swung onto the wrong side of the road and then hung a camera out the right
side window, facing forward.

The cameras mounted in and on the Pantera, as well as the microphones that
were on me and Jay, all transmit wirelessly back to the camera car, so they
were able to monitor us the entire time in real time.   Besides the driver,
there were three cameramen and the producer bouncing around in there, and
the driver really knew how to haul ass in that thing.   I didn't pay much
attention to them, but I noted that the Pantera was being driven at a pretty
brisk pace on the canyon road, and we were following the SUV much of the time,
so that guy really was pushing it hard!