[DeTomaso] Fw: FW: Fwd: modded Pantera to be auctioned at Newport Beach next weekend

Brent Stewart bjbstewart at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 16 17:29:53 EDT 2014

I took one of the pictures, cropped it and lightened it up to see what those wheels were - camps painted back...

On Monday, June 16, 2014 1:22 PM, Jordan Klein <ohjordan at hotmail.com> wrote:

   The pictures of #1435 show a flat deck ('71) square door handles (late
   '71 change from push button) and from the pictures it appears to be one
   of the few with solid window frames (rather than the stainless window
   frame caps).
   I don't remember the exact number, but a few Pantera's body production
   was delayed because the supplier couldn't deliver the stainless steel
   window frame caps.  DeTomaso historians know precisely the quantity and
   serial numbers of
 these rare cars.  My recollection is something less
   than 20-30 cars, and this car's serial number falls within 7 numbers of
   another car I know personally that has the solid window frames.
   As the story was shared with me, the stainless window frame caps were
   back-ordered, which stalled the body production line.  After inordinate
   delays, DeTomaso patience finally turned to action; he contracted with
   a local cathedral window maker to hand fabricate window frames from
   brass which were then dipped for chroming.
   If my eye is correct, and #1435 does in fact have the solid window
   frames, that may explain in part the apparent 'out-of-sequence'
   production timeline for this particular car.  It might also make
 this
   particular car one of a few with this rare anomaly and perhaps be more
   valuable to aficionados of DeTomaso production minutia.
   Regarding the '72 registration, dealers frequently titled these cars in
   whatever year was convenient, expedient, and/or satisfied the marketing
   objective.  '71 Panteras were occasionally registered as '72's simply
   because they arrived late on the dealer's lot, and the dealer didn't
   want the appearance of having the 'iconic' Pantera unsold for what
   appeared to be last years model.  So with a wave of the magic wand,
   some '71s became '72s.  It seems it was at the dealer's discretion.
   I don't claim to be the ultimate authority on DeTomaso production, but

 if this car has the solid window frames, this scenario is a good
   guess.
   Jordan Klein