[DeTomaso] Spring rates, math quiz

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 14 10:50:59 EDT 2014

Mikael,

Do you know the corner weights of the Longchamp or have access to corner weight scales? If you could know that mass then you can estimate the reactive spring rate lbs/inch of your current springs from the 13cm of compression you have mounted and uncounted. I say reactive as it would only be an estimate given the angle of the shocks and suspension travel and the fact some of the corner mass is the wheel, rotors etc. (unsprung weight) With that information it should fairly simple math to estimate the length and spring rate that provides the ride height you desire.

The alternative is to take a spring and compress it by 1 inch on a scale and read what weight that takes, which is your spring rate in lbs/inch, but you still need the unstrung mass of the Longchamp to estimate the static weight (compression) on the spring.

Of course you could just get a set of aftermarket adjustable shocks and springs!

Julian