[DeTomaso] horse power question

Gray Gregory rgg at gregorycook.com
Fri Jun 13 22:02:24 EDT 2014

Probably, It was dyno'd by the engine builder so no doubt it was done in a very friendly environment; likely with dyno headers, no accessories, no air cleaner and maybe even cool air blowing directly down on the carb.... IMO comparing engine dyno numbers with chassis dyno numbers is a pointless exercise because the conditions are so different. Engine dyno conditions are usually set up as friendly as possible in order to net the max hp number possible. Chassis dyno conditions are usually the complete opposite; the dyno is usually in a hot enclosed warehouse building and the engine is of course in the car with full exhaust and all the accessories attached, so you have to first figure out how much hp all that robs before you can determine how much power the drive train consumes.

It would be interesting to dyno a motor with full exhaust and all the accessories while somehow trying to simulate the environment of the engine being in the car then run the car on a chassis dyno and compare the numbers.

Gray