[DeTomaso] Spring rates, math quiz

Ken Green kenn_green at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 13 16:14:22 EDT 2014

I don't think you necessarily lower the car 1cm if the compressed spring is 1 cm shorter, depends on the suspension geometry.

Are you sure there are no spacers in the shocks you can remove, like the spacers on Pantera shocks?  If there are, do that first.

Ken

So all you math genuises, here's a question. My orig Longchamp springs of unknown spring rate are too hard/long now that I have replaced heavy iron: headers, heads, intake. Tomorrow I'm going to a place where they have springs on shelves so I can measure and find close origs in size. I.D. has to be exact (9cm). And I plan to find springs from a car with a V6, preferably sporty soo not too soft. And I realize that I will have to buy several (they're about $60 each) to experiment to get the height I want.

But here's the question. Orig springs are 38cm free, and 25cm mounted in shock and weight on car. I'm looking for around 20cm, lowering 5cm. Question: if they have springs with proper diameter, but are maybe 33cm at rest instead of 38cm, what is the equivalent height decrease when weight is on spring and mounted in shock? Is there a formula?
Sent from my BlackBerry Q10