[DeTomaso] Thermostat restrictor plate 351 C

Will Kooiman will.kooiman at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 19:20:01 EDT 2014

The ipsco plate works fine.

The hole is only for a brief period of engine warm up.

When the engine is cold, coolant flows through the hole to the water pump,
and back through the engine.

Once the engine is warm, the thermostat opens, and coolant flows a
different direction, completely bypassing the hole.

On a stock brass plate, the hole is very large.  The Cleveland thermostat
has a hat that partially blocks it, but it still allows a fair amount of
hot coolant to recirculate through the hot engine "bypassing" the radiator.

Many people block the bypass altogether, which is a subject for debate.
--
Will