[DeTomaso] Thermostat restrictor plate 351 C

Bill Moore bill at incendium.com
Tue Jun 10 13:33:41 EDT 2014

"WINTER" - Houston, really ?

Cheers:

Please use my bill at incendium.com email address in all messages.

Bill Moore
Incendium Supply Ltd.
Suite 416, #305-4625 Varsity Drive N.W.
Calgary, AB T3A 0Z9
403.202.0055

-----Original Message-----
From: DeTomaso [mailto:detomaso-bounces at poca.com] On Behalf Of Kirby Schrader
Sent: June-10-14 11:26 AM
To: Larry Finch
Cc: 576103 .; Panteras
Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] Thermostat restrictor plate 351 C

I was just typing up my reply when yours arrived, Larry.
:-)

I agree. I ran my Cleveland with a non-Cleveland ('Chevy' style) thermostat for years with a block off plate that had a really small hole just to get rid of the air.
I drove my car as a daily driver for 6 years to work and back in Houston 'winters' and summers.
The only cooling problem I ever had was the radiator/surge tank cap burping coolant when I backed off the throttle at 7000rpm at the track.
Even with a 24psi cap, it burped.
This is all to do with the (in my opinion and others) poor design of the system.
The surge tank should *not *be on the 'high pressure' side of the water pump.
I have had Mike Trusty pound that into my head enough that I be a true believer!

However, lots of people get along fine with the stock setup.

Now then, since I have a 'Clevor' in the car, there is no place to put a thermostat in/on the engine, so I have a remote thermostat.
Started cold, the engine circulates water out of each head to the front of the car and back until the thermostat mounted up front (ala Mike Trusty/John Taphorn mod found at www.spacecitypanteras.com) opens up and then it goes to the radiator.

The 'surge tank' is now on the suction side of the water pump. No more burping.

My GT40 has the same setup. Works just fine, thank you very much.
Oh.... and both cars have the condenser for the A/C mounted up front.

FWIW,
Kirby