[DeTomaso] Thermostat restrictor plate 351 C

Mike Drew MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Jun 10 10:38:04 EDT 2014

On Jun 10, 2014, at 7:09, John Donahue <demongusta at me.com> wrote:

> >Any chance someone out there has a picture of the restrictor plate "in place"?

>>>I have a great one somebody sent me and will forward to the list when I get home tonight. Actually I think I got it from Garth, or maybe AJ?

> >This was a topic of discussion with a couple members last Sunday at the Pantera picnic of Foothill Panteras. I don't think my motor has one.

>>>Doom.

> > understand a "motor-specific" thermostat is needed if there is a restrictor plate, but ANY thermostat is OK if there is no restrictor plate.

>>>That is completely wrong. The restrictor plate results in a small hole in the engine that allows coolant to circulate inside the block and bypass the radiator. When the thermostat opens this hole is partially (but not completely) blocked.

If you have no restrictor plate at all, what you have is a giant hole inside your engine. The thermostat has virtually no function and a huge amount of coolant bypasses the radiator.

I think your confusion stems from the fact that for awhile, people used to advocate blocking the hole in the restrictor and closing it down completely. This forces ALL the coolant through the radiator and allows use of a normal non 351C thermostat. However, this is extremely hard on the engine because there is zero coolant flow until the thermostat opens. The engine heats up unevenly and can get super-hot in places. When the thermostat opens, completely cold water is introduced WHAM! Which shocks the engine. Bad idea.

> >I believe the "motor-specific" thermostat is a "top-hat" one. I am using a regular Stant thermostat, but now wondering.

>>>If you are using a non 351C thermostat that's bad. But if you have no restrictor plate at all, that's terrible.

Mike

>>> [3]http://www.teampanteraracing.com/

>>> 5. mailto:DeTomaso at poca.com
>>> 7. mailto:DeTomaso at poca.com