[DeTomaso] Pantera Space Saver Spare

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Jul 28 20:52:55 EDT 2014

In a message dated 7/28/14 14 52 53, cengles at cox.net writes:

>                 Thanks for the info.  It has been so long since I have
> looked at a spare, I can't recall if there is one or two valve stems.  I
> assumed that all SSSpares were same size.  Obviously wrong.   Oh, well. If
> it wasn't complicated, then it would less interesting.
>

>>>They originally had a single, conventional stem (1971 and early 1972).
Later there was a recall by BFG because people were overinflating the
tires, which would blow off the rim and injure (kill?) them.   BFG retrofitted a
new metal stem which had a pressure relief valve built in (not 'two valve
stems', strictly speaking).

Customers were first notified via certified letter of the recall; if they
didn't respond, BFG then sent them a postcard (see attached).

Later Panteras came from the factory with the metal valve stem.

Cheers!

Mike

P.S.   If you want to see something crazy from back in the day, here's a
photo of a Pantera where the owner had a 15x7 Campagnolo magnesium wheel
narrowed to 15x5 (?????) and fitted with a 15-inch space-saver spare!

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/data/500/medium/10170spare_Large_.jpg

Don't ask me how....????