[DeTomaso] POCA's Lone Star Fun Rally

John Taphorn jtaphorn at kingwoodcable.com
Thu Jul 24 19:39:39 EDT 2014

Calling All De Tomasos!!!

The members of Space City Panteras and Dallas/Fort Worth Panteras whole
heartedly invite you to join us for some Texas hospitality at POCA's
2015 Lone Star Fun Rally, to be held in Houston, Friday, May 15th
through Tuesday, May 19th, 2015.

WHY TEXAS?

There are a number of compelling reasons for you to attend the 34^th
annual POCA Fun Rally that we have affectionately dubbed the POCA Lone
Star Fun Rally.

First of all Texas, the Lone Star State, is a giant of a state. Texans
are known for their large, welcoming hearts. "Friendship" is the state's
motto, and the people of Texas live by that motto. Heck, we even have
road signs that say "Drive Friendly!" You owe yourself a visit.

Next, enjoy some real Texas hospitality at a working Texas ranch by
attending our world famous Pantera Pig Roast, held at our favorite
Pantera Technical Center, Gray Gregory's Ranch. That's right, you're
welcome to wrench on cars during the day or just hang around for the
home cooked grub served that evening.

As a special once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, Space City Pantera member
and rocket scientist John Haas will lead a private tour of the NASA
Neutral Buoyancy Lab at the Johnson Space Center. The Neutral Buoyancy
Lab contains a full size, submerged mockup of the International Space
Station (ISS), complete with a fully functional earth-bound ISS
arm. This immense underwater facility is used to train astronauts for
zero gravity space walks and outside repairs to the orbiting ISS.  The
titanium ISS arm, designed and constructed by a NASA team that included
John Haas, is an absolute engineering masterpiece that will inspire awe
in any gear head.

While at the Johnson Space Center, we will also visit Rocket Park, which
contains an amazing collection of vintage NASA launch and orbital
vehicles.  Foremost among them is the restored 3-Stage Saturn V rocket,
complete with Apollo capsule, escape tower, lunar lander module and
lunar command module.  This 1960's technology monster is one of only
three left in the world, stands over 36 stories tall and has rocket
exhaust nozzles large enough to walk through.  Words cannot do it
justice.  It truly must be seen to be appreciated.

For you racers and race spectators alike, Texas World Speedway (TWS) is
on the agenda for two spectacular track days.  TWS is a challenging 2.9
mile road course with screaming long straights, fast banked cornersand
the occasional twisty bits in between.  Over the years, we have hosted a
number of TWS race weekends, most recently with over 25 Panteras from
California, Colorado, Kansas, Texas and Oklahoma in attendance. TWS is
the perfect track for stretching your Cat's legs and it may even be the
best track of any previous Fun Rally. While TWS is our home track, it is
unfortunately going the way of Riverside Raceway in California. After
our event, TWS will be bulldozed to make way for a housing development
later in 2015. This will be our last goodbye to an old friend.

We have also planned a special group visit to a private automotive
collection of over 215 cars and memorabilia ranging from the 1930's
through present day. Indoor settings recreate an early gas
station/garage and 1950's diner. Those who have been there remark that
it is among the most fascinating displays they have seen,as it
emphasizes automotive development and new factory cars that were
relevant during their lifetime.

Last but definitely not least, Houston is centrally located within the
Continental US, with multiple intersecting interstate highways and one
of the largest, most accessible airports in the nation. Because of this,
we're hoping to see members and their Panteras from all sections of the
country. It's an especially good opportunity for those of you living in
the central and eastern parts of the country to attend a Fun Rally.
Besides the De Tomaso cars, the Fun Rally provides an excellent
opportunity to build friendships by connecting a face to the voice on
the phone or the forum conversation that we've all had over the
years.The POCA Lone Star Fun Rally will be held for one year only, so
whether you're a Fun Rally veteran or a first timer, this is the one to
attend!

Take advantage of our Texas hospitality and join us next May at the 2015
POCA Lone Star Fun Rally!!!