[DeTomaso] Happy 80th birthday Tom!

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Jul 23 14:47:43 EDT 2014

Hi guys,

Astoundingly, today is Tom Tjaarda's 80th birthday!   You would never know
it by looking at him!

Just got home after almost a month touring Europe.   Although the initial
inspiration was the Le Mans Classic tour (another epic job by Charlie, and
Scott Couchman produced an outstanding video overview, literally, as he used a
quad-copter for much of it!), Lori and I decided to make it a belated
honeymoon and continued our travels through France, Italy and Switzerland,
visiting a few Pantera folks along the way.

As we would be passing through Turin (Torino), I pinged Tom Tjaarda and
asked if he'd perhaps like to get together for lunch or something?   He
responded that he'd like to spend a day with us, and would give us a private tour
of the new Torino Auto Museum!   He then further responded and invited us to
his home for dinner with his wife afterwards.

So, we had a terrific day together, starting with meeting him in his lovely
office, located in a centuries-old apartment just off the Via Roma
(Torino's center of town, a Rodeo Drive-kind of street).   After giving us a look at
some of his drawings and designs, and spending a fair amount of time
admiring his spectacular collection of large-scale radio controlled aircraft, we
jumped in his car and he took us on a drive through and out of the city, up
into the surrounding hills, where we eventually wound up at a basilica
overlooking the city.

After returning to retrieve our car, we followed him home.   He owns a
fantastic apartment that he remodelled himself (although somewhat formally
trained in automotive design, his actual degree was in architecture), which he
actually bought from Pietro Frua, one of the leading car designers and
coachbuilders of the 1950s and 1960s.

His wife Paula (pronounced POW-la in Italian) speaks little English, but
she was enormously friendly and welcoming, and screwed together a fantastic
multi-course dinner for us which lasted well past midnight!

I was amazed at Tom's continued energy and passion for life.   It's amazing
to consider that today he turns 80 years old!

While we were together, he told me that the University of Michigan in Ann
Arbor has selected him to receive their Distinguished Alumnus Award for 2014,
and they are preparing a major exibition of his various works at the
Architecture campus.   He will be presenting a slide show and talk on the 26th of
September, and all are invited.   If you are in the area, you owe it to
yourself to go!

Perhaps Great Lakes Panteras could be convinced to fire up the welcome
wagon and throw Tom a welcome party of some sort?

Cheers!

Miike