[DeTomaso] Cleveland HP limits

Kirby Schrader kirby.schrader at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 13:52:51 EDT 2014

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 9:50 PM, Will Kooiman <will.kooiman at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I agree.
> 500HP is probably a safe limit and I don¹t know, 6,000 RPM - on a stock
> block, built right.  Sure you can go higher, but it is gambling at a point.

The original 377 stroker that I built back in 1998 turned 7000 rpm + for
many, many years.
It was my drive to work car.

I think Dave Bell called it the 'indestructible Cleveland stroker' or
something like that one time.
The thing was... it was probably only 450HP or so. When I dyno'd it on a
chassis dyno, it peaked at 366HP at the rear wheels.
Probably the reason it lasted so long....

Each time I've tried to go over 500HP, I've broken something with a
Cleveland.
I know you can do it, but it's so much easier on your peace of mind and
your wallet using an SVO or after market block.

FWIW,
Kirby