[DeTomaso] Cleveland HP limits

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Jul 22 11:52:32 EDT 2014

In a message dated 7/14/14 8:37:35 PM, julian_kift at hotmail.com writes:

> Before you spend any money on a build take the block and get the cylinder
> wall thickness sonic checked. Just because it's a stock block doesn't
> guarantee it is free of core shift.
>

>>>Fo' Sho!

FWIW when Dan Jones was helping me with my 408 stroker, he sold me an
original bore block he actually bought from Steve Liebenow (relatively right
around the corner from me) and hauled home in the back of his 5.0 Mustang to St.
Louis.   It had one scratched bore, which he thought would disappear when
it was bored .030 over for the stroker kit.   (This proved to be true).

However, sonic testing revealed that another cylinder, which appeared to be
perfect, had a dangerously thin wall on one side, and the only way forward
was to sleeve that cylinder.   Had that not been checked before hand, the
resultant engine would have been a time bomb waiting to go off....