[DeTomaso] Ford aluminum heads

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 11:29:00 EDT 2014

> Ford part number. E2ZM 6049 B3.

Those are B351 aluminum high port Cleveland heads.  As cast, they were an
intermediate intake port smaller than an A3 but larger than a C302.
However, they were often ported to A3 size.  On the exhaust side, they
could have one of two different bolt patterns (early or late).  Both are
raised from a standard 351C exhaust port location and require compatible
headers.

> Anyway they look like they would work without all the special (YATES)
hardware.

That is correct.  They take all standard Boss 351 Cleveland valve train
bits. Note, they were sometimes fitted with smaller diameter intake and
exhaust valves.

> Also picked up a Jack Roush intake with a Ford part number M-9424-A351.

Unfortunately Ford re-used the A351 part number on both high port and Yates
intakes.  Assuming you have a high port version,

for a 9.5" deck block and is cast with dual end seal rails (can be trimmed
to fit a Cleveland block).  Does not have thermostat housing, the
M-9424-A351 (for 9.5" deck) and M-9424-B351 (for 9.2" deck) share the same
basic casting and differ only by finish machining (location of the bolt
holes and thickness of intake gasket flanges.  The casting has dual rear
end seal rails (for either Cleveland or Windsor blocks) and it is possible
to make an A351 into a B351 by milling and bolt hole elongation.  Port size
is C302 which is narrower than either an A3 or B351.

> Here are some pics please enlighten me.

Forward the pictures to me and I can tell you more.  Some of my high port
notes are below:

Dan Jones

Some B351 pics and info here:

http://www.bacomatic.org/gallery2/v/hidden/dan/dan-cars/album04/album06/?g2_page=7

http://www.bacomatic.org/gallery2/v/hidden/dan/dan-cars/album04/album06/album22/

Ford Motorsport High Port Family
--------------------------------

These were Ford's racing cylinder heads before the Yates cylinder heads
were introduced.  The high port canted valve aluminum heads included
three basic designs: the A3, B351, and C302.  The A3 was the earliest
of this family of heads.  They were basically an aluminum evolution of
the Pro Stock high ported iron 4V's.  Back in the '70's, when 351C's
were campaigned in the Pro Stock drag class, it was standard practive
to cut off the exhaust ports of iron 4V Boss 351 heads and bolt on an
aluminum plate that had a raised exhaust port location.  Some racers also
filled in the bottom 1/3 or so of the intake port with epoxy or aluminum
port stuffers.  The A3 is basically an improved aluminum version of a
Pro Stock high ported 4V head.  The intake port is the same width as
an iron 4V (and is in the same location) but the lower portion is filled
in.  The exhaust ports are circular in cross section and radically raised
compared to a 4V exhaust port and have a different bolt pattern so custom
headers are required.  For an intake manifold, you can use a 4V with the
ports filled or a Ford Motorsport A331 (by Edelbrock).  Any of the other
(non-Yates) Ford Motorsport high port intakes will also work but will have
narrower ports.  The A3's have the largest ports of the lot (241 cc intake
and 134 cc exhaust) and were optimized for 355 cid and larger engines used
in drag and circle track racing.  The B351's came on the scene next.
They had smaller 223 cc intake and 106 cc exhaust ports and were
optimized for NASCAR 355's.  The C302's were the final version of these
heads and had the the smallest ports (212 cc intake and 95 cc exhaust,
optimized for 320 cid and under Trans Am engines).  They were also
designed to permit (require) custom porting for larger displacement
applications.

Since this family of heads was originally based upon iron 4V heads, they
are compatible with Boss 302, Boss 351, and 351 SVO valvetrain components
and pistons.  Except for the intake and exhaust manifold differences
that are required by the port location and shape differences, these heads
were designed to be 1-for-1 replacements for Boss 351 cylinder heads.
They use a Cleveland style quench chamber and standard 302 Boss/351
Boss/351C/351 SVO valve train parts (will accept 2.19"/1.71" valves).
They have cast iron seats and guides (titanium valve compatible) and are
set up for studs and guide plates.  They are also cast with combustion
face and front and rear coolant outlets to allow use on Windsor, Cleveland,
and SVO blocks.  Pipe plugs are provided to seal the threaded openings as
required.  The fact that they are basically bolt-ons, unlike the Yates,
makes them very desirable heads, particularly for applications like Panteras
where off-the-shelf headers exist.

The earliest versions of these heads went by a "Phase" designation and were
originally referred to as Phase 1 (A3), Phase 1 3/4 (B351), and Phase III
(C302, D302) heads and may have the designation cast into the rocker area.
Some of the early heads had the word "SPECIAL" cast into the rocker area,
as well.  I have a set of A3 heads that are Phase 1 1/2.  They differ from
the usual A3's in that they have narrower intake ports.  The intake ports
are closer in size to the later C302 ports than the usual A3.  The exhaust
side appears to be standard A3.  Apparently, these variations are not
unusual
as there were various versions of these heads cast for specific applications
and race teams.  There were also minor variations of the these heads.  For
instance, the D302 was an unmachined version of the C302.

Roush and Edelbrock cast a variety of aluminum single plane race intakes
for the early high port heads.  These heads are no longer in production,
though pop up on the used market from time-to-time.  Specifications and
notes follow:

A3/B351/C302/D302 SVO High Port Canted Valve Aluminum Heads

Part          CC's  Int    Exh      Int     Exh   Description
Number              Port   Port     Vlv     Vlv
                    Vol    Vol      Dia     Dia
                    CC's   CC's     In      In

M-6049-A3     62    241    134      2.15    1.71  optimized for 355 cid
                                                  and larger, drag racing,
                                                  circle track, etc.
M-6049-B351   62    223    106      2.15    1.65  optimized for NASCAR
M-6049-C302   62    212     95      2.15    1.65  optimized for Trans Am,
                                                  320 cid and under
M-6049-C302B  62    212     95      2.15    1.65  designed to permit
                                                  custom porting, not
                                                  legal for Winston Cup
M-6049-D302   62    212     95      2.15    1.65  same as C302 w/o port
                                                  throat machining or
                                                  valve seats/guides
M-6049-D302B  62    212     95      2.15    1.65  same as C302B w/o port
                                                  throat machining or
                                                  valve seats/guides,
                                                  not legal for Winston
                                                  Cup
A3/B351/C302/D302 Head Notes:
----------------------------

 1. The M-6049-A3 head has the largest intake port volume (241 cc's)
    and exhaust port volume (134 cc's), intake flows 280 cfm @ 25 in Hg
    as cast, doesn't respond to rpm transitions as well as B351 or C302,
    has slight bend on intake port wall to accommodate pushrods, raised
    floor increases port radius, straightening the turn for incoming
    mixture and minimizing fuel separation, optimized for 355 and larger,
    drag racing, circle track, etc.  The A3 heads were based upon high
ported
    iron Boss 351 heads.  Ports were designed by Jack Roush, Bud Moore and
    Leonard Wood.  Also known as Phase 1.

 2. The M-6049-B351 has intermediate port volumes (223 cc's intake,
    106 cc's exhaust, flows 260 cfm @ 25 in Hg as cast, intake port
    wall filled around pushrod area to straighten it, intake floor same
    as A3, material added to exhaust port floor increasing radius for
    flow, optimized for NASCAR.  Bud Moore intake ports, Leonard Wood
    exhaust.  Also known as Phase 1 3/4.

 3. The M-6049-C302 has the smallest port volumes (212 cc's intake,
    95 cc's exhaust), at the radius the intake port floor has been
    filled about 0.120" which forms a slight hump to lift incoming
    mixture and drop it evenly around the valve, like B351 wall filled
    around pushrod to ensure straightness, optimized for Trans Am 320
    cubes and under, narrow ports for increased velocity.  Tony Oddo
    intake ports, Ernie Elliot exhaust.  Also known as the Phase 3.
    Preferred NASCAR/road race head.   Originally listed in the 1984
    Ford Motorsport catalog as being available in March 1984 under
    p/n M-6049-A302.

 4. B versions (M-6049-C302B, M-6049-D302B) were revised for durability
    but not approved by NASCAR, advertised as "too hot for NASCAR" by
    SVO, extra material in rocker pedestal area and at spring seats,
    rocker cover raised 0.2", improved heat treat, shoulder added to end
    plug for improved sealing, outer bolt boss height raised to provide
    common head bolt length.

 5. All versions are fully compatible with 302 Boss/351 Boss/351 SVO
    valve train parts (will accept 2.19"/1.71" valves) and have cast
    iron seats and guides (titanium valve compatible), rocker stud
    pedestals are machined flat and holes are tapped for threaded studs
    and guide plates.

 6. Uses Motorcraft AG-series spark plug (14 mm, 3/4 inch reach) with
    gasket.

 7. Head is cast with combustion face and front and rear coolant outlets
    to allow use on 351W and 351C blocks.  Pipe plugs are provided to
    seal openings as needed.  On Clevelands, install pipe plug in holes
    on end of heads.

 8. Originally referred to as Phase 1, 1 1/2, 1 3/4, and III heads.

 9. Brodix has recently introduced the BF300 series heads as a bolt-on
    replacement for the C302B head.

10. Nominal combustion chamber volume for the high port heads is usually
    listed at 62 cc's, though Ford Motorsport sometimes lists 65 cc's.

11. Special versions of these heads were made for certain race teams.
    I have a set of narrow intake port A3's, for instance.

12. High port heads (at least the C302B versions) take a different rocker
    stud than the iron Cleveland heads.  The head end is shorter.  On
    C302/C302B heads, it's not unusual for the stud hole to poke through
    into the port roof (those heads have a higher port roof) so sealer
    is required on the studs.

13.  High port heads had two different exhaust flange bolt patterns and
     both are different from iron Cleveland heads.  The later version had
     one row of bolts moved about a bolt diameter to make more room for
     porting.  High port headers often have their bolt holes slotted to fit
     either bolt pattern.  I've heard but not verified the later pattern is
     close to the BBC dog-eared pattern.  The early pattern had a staggered
     bolt pattern similar to the iron Cleveland heads but with different
     dimensions.  Measured diagonally across the exhaust port, the
     center-to-center bolt hole distance is 2.77".  All cast areas across
     top of exhaust ports are flat.  The later pattern had a similar pattern
     but the center-to-center bolt hole distance is 2.94" when measured
     diagonally across the exhaust port.  The cast areas across top of
     exhaust ports have bumps on the right side with material added for the
     revised bolt hole locations.  I've also seen some heads that had the
     later casting but were drilled for the early flange.

14.  The heads were designed to bolt directly onto Cleveland, Windsor, or
     hybrid race blocks (Ford Motorsport, Fontana, Dart, World Products,
     etc.).  The difference is where the coolant flow is routed.  Cleveland
     intakes are dry and have a coolant passage on the deck face.  Windsors
     have wet intakes with the passage on the intake manifold face.  The
     heads came drilled for 351C blocks and came with aluminum plugs that
     you screwed into the deck face holes if you used them on Windsor
blocks.
     On Windsor blocks you drilled the intake manifold holes or routed the
     coolant out the front of the heads.

 15. February 1986 Hot Rod article mentions a planned M-6049-E302 Phase 4
     head that was not yet finalized but would be a "90 % race ready"
     version of the C302 head and would require less port grinding.
     Was supposed to have Roush/Oddo ports.

Tony Oddo of T.O.E. Performance: "Ernie and I designed the 'C' head as a
joint
venture.  I did the intake and Ernie did the exhaust.  This was in January
'83.
In fact, we did the 'C' heads for Ernie until the first of the year (January
'85).  We did the complete intake port and chamber welding, then Kent would
do
the exhaust ports and Ernie fined-tuned them from there.   In '83-'84
everything we did (NASCAR) was for Elliot.  We did all 'C' heads.  Kent did
the 'B' heads.  We did about six sets for him.  Ernie and I did all the R&D
on
the heads.

Larry Widmer designed the D302 version

High Port Family Gasket Notes:
------------------------------

Head Gaskets:

 M-6051-A331: Blue Fel Pro headgaskets for A3/B351/C302 heads on a Windsor
 block.  Does not have the round water transfer hole required for a
 Cleveland block, otherwise same as A341.  For 4.0" bore (and likely
 overbores up to 4.060").  Solid metallic core with wire encased combustion
 seal for competition application.  Surfaces are coated with Teflon.  Do
 not use sealer.  Can be used with iron Cleveland heads on Windsor block.

 M-6051-A341: Blue Fel Pro headgaskets for A3/B351/C302 heads on a Cleveland
 block.  Has the one round water transfer hole required for a Cleveland
block,
 otherwise same as A331.  For 4.0" bore (and likely overbores up to 4.060").
 Solid metallic core with wire encased combustion seal for competition
 application.  Surfaces are coated with Teflon.  Do not use sealer.  Can be
 used with iron Cleveland heads.

 M-6051-B331: For A3/B351/C302 or iron Cleveland heads on Windsor block.
 Same as M-6051-A341 except has bifurcated (enlarged dual) coolant transfer
 holes added for improved cooling and upper front coolant hole deleted so
 Cleveland or A3/B351/C302 heads can be used on Windsor block.

 M-6051-B341: Same as B331 but for blocks bored to up to 4.125" (Fontana,
 Dart, or Ford Motorsport race blocks).  Bore flange valve pockets have been
 added to unshroud intake and exhaust valves.  Unique right and left hand
 gaskets.

 Note: Both B331 and B341 can be used on Cleveland blocks if modified per
 supplied instructions.

Intake Gaskets:

 The Ford Motorsport intake gaskets for A3 heads were part number
M-9439-A341
 but are no longer available.  Fel Pro makes two intake gasket sets for the
 Motorsport high port heads.  1229 is listed for A3 heads but the port
opening
 measures the close to C302B heads (1.35" x 2.20").  1265 is listed for B351
 and C302B heads but the port size is listed as 1.35" x 2.22".  Consider
both
 to be trim-to-fit for larger intake port openings.  P/N 1229 has round
holes
 on both ends in case you run coolant through the intake (like a Windsor
block).
 Also, 1229 comes with a tube of black RTV but no end seals.  Both 1229 and
1265
 are 0.060" thick.  Fel Pro makes similar intake gaskets in thinner (12531
is
 0.030", FEL-12532 and 1253S2 are 0.045") and thicker (12535 is 0.120")
sizes
 for Yates heads that could probably be adapted if you need to compensate
for
 head or intake milling.

Exhaust gaskets:

 Fel Pro p/n 1417: A3 cylinder heads (1.94" diameter round port size)
 Fel Pro p/n 1431: B351/C302 cylinder heads (1.81" diameter round port size)
 Fel Pro p/n 1433: Yates cylinder heads (1.86" x 1.68" port size)
 Note: Both 1417 and 1431 have the late style bolt pattern.  The only
 difference is the size of the hole.

Another gasket that might come in handy is the double thick valve cover
gaskets.  If you have clearance issues with roller rockers and your valve
covers, Fel-Pro makes part number 1636, a thick three layer
(cork-metal-cork)
valve cover gasket which improves clearance.

Other stuff you may or may not know about, high port heads require one inch
longer head bolts/studs (use hardened washers).  A3's, B351's, and early
versions of the C302 heads had one short bolt.  Later C302B's got common
length bolts.  The high port heads come with combustion face and front and
rear coolant outlets which get plugged with aluminum pipe plugs as needed.
Where the plugs go is a function of the block, whether or not the intake
has a coolant cross-over, and whether or not you run a remote coolant cross
-over.  For instance, if you put high port heads on a Windsor style block
with a coolant cross-over manifold, the plugs go in the ends and the
combustion face and a 0.8" hole is drilled at the coolant cross-over.
The supplied instructions illustrate the options.  Use a thread sealer and
make sure the plug is below or level with the deck surface.  On Cleveland
blocks, pipe plugs go in the holes on the ends of the heads (coolant goes
from block to head, intake is dry).  Also an external (not in manifold)
coolant crossover can be used (M-85920A351) to take water out the front of
the heads.

Dan Jones

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 11:54 PM, Christopher Kimball <chrisvkimball at msn.com
> wrote:

>    Hi again, everyone,
>    One of our club members, Dave Goodwin, has some questions about heads.
>     I know pictures don't usually work through this forum, but if you
>    contact Dave, he can send you some pictures.
>    I'm not much of a mechanic, but if you can be of help to Dave, that
>    would be great, thanks!
>    Sincerely,
>    Chris
>    PNW President
>
>    Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2014 22:37:48 +0000
>    From: goodwinpantera at comcast.net
>    To: chrisvkimball at msn.com
>    Subject: Ford aluminum heads
>    Chris, I have been trying to find some information on a set of heads
>    that are aluminum for the 351C and have a Ford part number. E2ZM 6049
>    B3. I looks at a Pantera website and they discussed the C3 but not the
>    B3 head. Anyway they look like they would work without all the special
>    (YATES) hardware. Also picked up a Jack Roush intake with a Ford part
>    number M-9424-A351. Here are some pics please enlighten me.
>

>    Dave Goodwin

   > Ford part number. E2ZM 6049 B3.
   Those are B351 aluminum high port Cleveland heads.A  As cast, they were
   an intermediate intake port smaller than an A3 but larger than a
   C302.A  However, they were often ported to A3 size.A  On the exhaust
   side, they could have one of two different bolt patterns (early or
   late).A  Both are raised from a standard 351C exhaust port location and
   require compatible headers.A
   > Anyway they look like they would work without all the special (YATES)
   hardware.
   That is correct.A  They take all standard Boss 351 Cleveland valve
   train bits. Note, they were sometimes fitted with smaller diameter
   intake and exhaust valves.
   > Also picked up a Jack Roush intake with a Ford part number
   M-9424-A351.
   Unfortunately Ford re-used the A351 part number on both high port and
   Yates intakes.A  Assuming you have a high port version,
   for a 9.5" deck block and is cast with dual end seal rails (can be
   trimmed to fit a Cleveland block).A  Does not have thermostat housing,
   the M-9424-A351 (for 9.5" deck) and M-9424-B351 (for 9.2" deck) share
   the same basic casting and differ only by finish machining (location of
   the bolt holes and thickness of intake gasket flanges.A  The casting
   has dual rear end seal rails (for either Cleveland or Windsor blocks)
   and it is possible to make an A351 into a B351 by milling and bolt hole
   elongation.A  Port size is C302 which is narrower than either an A3 or
   B351.A
   > Here are some pics please enlighten me.
   Forward the pictures to me and I can tell you more.A  Some of my high
   port notes are below:
   Dan Jones
   Some B351 pics and info here:
   [1]http://www.bacomatic.org/gallery2/v/hidden/dan/dan-cars/album04/albu
   m06/?g2_page=7
   [2]http://www.bacomatic.org/gallery2/v/hidden/dan/dan-cars/album04/albu
   m06/album22/
   Ford Motorsport High Port Family
   --------------------------------
   These were Ford's racing cylinder heads before the Yates cylinder heads
   were introduced.A  The high port canted valve aluminum heads included
   three basic designs: the A3, B351, and C302.A  The A3 was the earliest
   of this family of heads.A  They were basically an aluminum evolution of
   the Pro Stock high ported iron 4V's.A  Back in the '70's, when 351C's
   were campaigned in the Pro Stock drag class, it was standard practive
   to cut off the exhaust ports of iron 4V Boss 351 heads and bolt on an
   aluminum plate that had a raised exhaust port location.A  Some racers
   also
   filled in the bottom 1/3 or so of the intake port with epoxy or
   aluminum
   port stuffers.A  The A3 is basically an improved aluminum version of a
   Pro Stock high ported 4V head.A  The intake port is the same width as
   an iron 4V (and is in the same location) but the lower portion is
   filled
   in.A  The exhaust ports are circular in cross section and radically
   raised
   compared to a 4V exhaust port and have a different bolt pattern so
   custom
   headers are required.A  For an intake manifold, you can use a 4V with
   the
   ports filled or a Ford Motorsport A331 (by Edelbrock).A  Any of the
   other
   (non-Yates) Ford Motorsport high port intakes will also work but will
   have
   narrower ports.A  The A3's have the largest ports of the lot (241 cc
   intake
   and 134 cc exhaust) and were optimized for 355 cid and larger engines
   used
   in drag and circle track racing.A  The B351's came on the scene next.
   They had smaller 223 cc intake and 106 cc exhaust ports and were
   optimized for NASCAR 355's.A  The C302's were the final version of
   these
   heads and had the the smallest ports (212 cc intake and 95 cc exhaust,
   optimized for 320 cid and under Trans Am engines).A  They were also
   designed to permit (require) custom porting for larger displacement
   applications.
   Since this family of heads was originally based upon iron 4V heads,
   they
   are compatible with Boss 302, Boss 351, and 351 SVO valvetrain
   components
   and pistons.A  Except for the intake and exhaust manifold differences
   that are required by the port location and shape differences, these
   heads
   were designed to be 1-for-1 replacements for Boss 351 cylinder heads.
   They use a Cleveland style quench chamber and standard 302 Boss/351
   Boss/351C/351 SVO valve train parts (will accept 2.19"/1.71" valves).
   They have cast iron seats and guides (titanium valve compatible) and
   are
   set up for studs and guide plates.A  They are also cast with combustion
   face and front and rear coolant outlets to allow use on Windsor,
   Cleveland,
   and SVO blocks.A  Pipe plugs are provided to seal the threaded openings
   as
   required.A  The fact that they are basically bolt-ons, unlike the
   Yates,
   makes them very desirable heads, particularly for applications like
   Panteras
   where off-the-shelf headers exist.
   The earliest versions of these heads went by a "Phase" designation and
   were
   originally referred to as Phase 1 (A3), Phase 1 3/4 (B351), and Phase
   III
   (C302, D302) heads and may have the designation cast into the rocker
   area.
   Some of the early heads had the word "SPECIAL" cast into the rocker
   area,
   as well.A  I have a set of A3 heads that are Phase 1 1/2.A  They differ
   from
   the usual A3's in that they have narrower intake ports.A  The intake
   ports
   are closer in size to the later C302 ports than the usual A3.A  The
   exhaust
   side appears to be standard A3.A  Apparently, these variations are not
   unusual
   as there were various versions of these heads cast for specific
   applications
   and race teams.A  There were also minor variations of the these
   heads.A  For
   instance, the D302 was an unmachined version of the C302.
   Roush and Edelbrock cast a variety of aluminum single plane race
   intakes
   for the early high port heads.A  These heads are no longer in
   production,
   though pop up on the used market from time-to-time.A  Specifications
   and
   notes follow:
   A3/B351/C302/D302 SVO High Port Canted Valve Aluminum Heads
   PartA A A A A A A A A  CC'sA  IntA A A  ExhA A A A A  IntA A A A
   ExhA A  Description
   NumberA A A A A A A A A A A A A  PortA A  PortA A A A  VlvA A A A  Vlv
   A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A  VolA A A  VolA A A A A
   DiaA A A A  Dia
   A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A  CC'sA A  CC'sA A A A
   InA A A A A  In
   M-6049-A3A A A A  62A A A  241A A A  134A A A A A  2.15A A A  1.71A
   optimized for 355 cid
   A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A
    A A A A A A A A A A A A A  and larger, drag racing,
   A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A
    A A A A A A A A A A A A A  circle track, etc.
   M-6049-B351A A  62A A A  223A A A  106A A A A A  2.15A A A  1.65A
   optimized for NASCAR
   M-6049-C302A A  62A A A  212A A A A  95A A A A A  2.15A A A  1.65A
   optimized for Trans Am,
   A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A
    A A A A A A A A A A A A A  320 cid and under
   M-6049-C302BA  62A A A  212A A A A  95A A A A A  2.15A A A  1.65A
   designed to permit
   A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A
    A A A A A A A A A A A A A  custom porting, not
   A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A
    A A A A A A A A A A A A A  legal for Winston Cup
   M-6049-D302A A  62A A A  212A A A A  95A A A A A  2.15A A A  1.65A
   same as C302 w/o port
   A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A
    A A A A A A A A A A A A A  throat machining or
   A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A
    A A A A A A A A A A A A A  valve seats/guides
   M-6049-D302BA  62A A A  212A A A A  95A A A A A  2.15A A A  1.65A  same
   as C302B w/o port
   A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A
    A A A A A A A A A A A A A  throat machining or
   A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A
    A A A A A A A A A A A A A  valve seats/guides,
   A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A
    A A A A A A A A A A A A A  not legal for Winston
   A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A
    A A A A A A A A A A A A A  Cup
   A3/B351/C302/D302 Head Notes:
   ----------------------------
   A 1. The M-6049-A3 head has the largest intake port volume (241 cc's)
   A A A  and exhaust port volume (134 cc's), intake flows 280 cfm @ 25 in
   Hg
   A A A  as cast, doesn't respond to rpm transitions as well as B351 or
   C302,
   A A A  has slight bend on intake port wall to accommodate pushrods,
   raised
   A A A  floor increases port radius, straightening the turn for incoming
   A A A  mixture and minimizing fuel separation, optimized for 355 and
   larger,
   A A A  drag racing, circle track, etc.A  The A3 heads were based upon
   high ported
   A A A  iron Boss 351 heads.A  Ports were designed by Jack Roush, Bud
   Moore and
   A A A  Leonard Wood.A  Also known as Phase 1.
   A 2. The M-6049-B351 has intermediate port volumes (223 cc's intake,
   A A A  106 cc's exhaust, flows 260 cfm @ 25 in Hg as cast, intake port
   A A A  wall filled around pushrod area to straighten it, intake floor
   same
   A A A  as A3, material added to exhaust port floor increasing radius
   for
   A A A  flow, optimized for NASCAR.A  Bud Moore intake ports, Leonard
   Wood
   A A A  exhaust.A  Also known as Phase 1 3/4.
   A 3. The M-6049-C302 has the smallest port volumes (212 cc's intake,
   A A A  95 cc's exhaust), at the radius the intake port floor has been
   A A A  filled about 0.120" which forms a slight hump to lift incoming
   A A A  mixture and drop it evenly around the valve, like B351 wall
   filled
   A A A  around pushrod to ensure straightness, optimized for Trans Am
   320
   A A A  cubes and under, narrow ports for increased velocity.A  Tony
   Oddo
   A A A  intake ports, Ernie Elliot exhaust.A  Also known as the Phase 3.
   A A A  Preferred NASCAR/road race head.A A  Originally listed in the
   1984
   A A A  Ford Motorsport catalog as being available in March 1984 under
   A A A  p/n M-6049-A302.
   A 4. B versions (M-6049-C302B, M-6049-D302B) were revised for
   durability
   A A A  but not approved by NASCAR, advertised as "too hot for NASCAR"
   by
   A A A  SVO, extra material in rocker pedestal area and at spring seats,
   A A A  rocker cover raised 0.2", improved heat treat, shoulder added to
   end
   A A A  plug for improved sealing, outer bolt boss height raised to
   provide
   A A A  common head bolt length.
   A 5. All versions are fully compatible with 302 Boss/351 Boss/351 SVO
   A A A  valve train parts (will accept 2.19"/1.71" valves) and have cast
   A A A  iron seats and guides (titanium valve compatible), rocker stud
   A A A  pedestals are machined flat and holes are tapped for threaded
   studs
   A A A  and guide plates.
   A 6. Uses Motorcraft AG-series spark plug (14 mm, 3/4 inch reach) with
   A A A  gasket.
   A 7. Head is cast with combustion face and front and rear coolant
   outlets
   A A A  to allow use on 351W and 351C blocks.A  Pipe plugs are provided
   A A A  seal openings as needed.A  On Clevelands, install pipe plug in
   holes
   A A A  on end of heads.
   A 8. Originally referred to as Phase 1, 1 1/2, 1 3/4, and III heads.
   A 9. Brodix has recently introduced the BF300 series heads as a bolt-on
   A A A  replacement for the C302B head.
   10. Nominal combustion chamber volume for the high port heads is
   usually
   A A A  listed at 62 cc's, though Ford Motorsport sometimes lists 65
   cc's.
   11. Special versions of these heads were made for certain race teams.
   A A A  I have a set of narrow intake port A3's, for instance.
   12. High port heads (at least the C302B versions) take a different
   rocker
   A A A  stud than the iron Cleveland heads.A  The head end is shorter.A
   On
   A A A  C302/C302B heads, it's not unusual for the stud hole to poke
   through
   A A A  into the port roof (those heads have a higher port roof) so
   sealer
   A A A  is required on the studs.
   13.A  High port heads had two different exhaust flange bolt patterns
   and
   A A A A  both are different from iron Cleveland heads.A  The later
   version had
   A A A A  one row of bolts moved about a bolt diameter to make more room
   for
   A A A A  porting.A  High port headers often have their bolt holes
   slotted to fit
   A A A A  either bolt pattern.A  I've heard but not verified the later
   pattern is
   A A A A  close to the BBC dog-eared pattern.A  The early pattern had a
   staggered
   A A A A  bolt pattern similar to the iron Cleveland heads but with
   different
   A A A A  dimensions.A  Measured diagonally across the exhaust port, the
   A A A A  center-to-center bolt hole distance is 2.77".A  All cast areas
   across
   A A A A  top of exhaust ports are flat.A  The later pattern had a
   similar pattern
   A A A A  but the center-to-center bolt hole distance is 2.94" when
   measured
   A A A A  diagonally across the exhaust port.A  The cast areas across
   top of
   A A A A  exhaust ports have bumps on the right side with material added
   for the
   A A A A  revised bolt hole locations.A  I've also seen some heads that
   had the
   A A A A  later casting but were drilled for the early flange.
   14.A  The heads were designed to bolt directly onto Cleveland, Windsor,
   or
   A A A A  hybrid race blocks (Ford Motorsport, Fontana, Dart, World
   Products,
   A A A A  etc.).A  The difference is where the coolant flow is routed.A
   Cleveland
   A A A A  intakes are dry and have a coolant passage on the deck face.A
   Windsors
   A A A A  have wet intakes with the passage on the intake manifold
   face.A  The
   A A A A  heads came drilled for 351C blocks and came with aluminum
   plugs that
   A A A A  you screwed into the deck face holes if you used them on
   Windsor blocks.
   A A A A  On Windsor blocks you drilled the intake manifold holes or
   routed the
   A A A A  coolant out the front of the heads.
   A 15. February 1986 Hot Rod article mentions a planned M-6049-E302
   Phase 4
   A A A A  head that was not yet finalized but would be a "90 % race
   ready"
   A A A A  version of the C302 head and would require less port grinding.
   A A A A  Was supposed to have Roush/Oddo ports.
   Tony Oddo of T.O.E. Performance: "Ernie and I designed the 'C' head as
   a joint
   venture.A  I did the intake and Ernie did the exhaust.A  This was in
   January '83.
   In fact, we did the 'C' heads for Ernie until the first of the year
   (January
   '85).A  We did the complete intake port and chamber welding, then Kent
   would do
   the exhaust ports and Ernie fined-tuned them from there.A A  In '83-'84
   everything we did (NASCAR) was for Elliot.A  We did all 'C' heads.A
   Kent did
   the 'B' heads.A  We did about six sets for him.A  Ernie and I did all
   the R&D on
   the heads.
   Larry Widmer designed the D302 version
   High Port Family Gasket Notes:
   ------------------------------
   Head Gaskets:
   A M-6051-A331: Blue Fel Pro headgaskets for A3/B351/C302 heads on a
   Windsor
   A block.A  Does not have the round water transfer hole required for a
   A Cleveland block, otherwise same as A341.A  For 4.0" bore (and likely
   A overbores up to 4.060").A  Solid metallic core with wire encased
   combustion
   A seal for competition application.A  Surfaces are coated with
   Teflon.A  Do
   A not use sealer.A  Can be used with iron Cleveland heads on Windsor
   block.
   A M-6051-A341: Blue Fel Pro headgaskets for A3/B351/C302 heads on a
   Cleveland
   A block.A  Has the one round water transfer hole required for a
   Cleveland block,
   A otherwise same as A331.A  For 4.0" bore (and likely overbores up to
   4.060").
   A Solid metallic core with wire encased combustion seal for competition
   A application.A  Surfaces are coated with Teflon.A  Do not use
   sealer.A  Can be
   A used with iron Cleveland heads.
   A M-6051-B331: For A3/B351/C302 or iron Cleveland heads on Windsor
   block.
   A Same as M-6051-A341 except has bifurcated (enlarged dual) coolant
   transfer
   A holes added for improved cooling and upper front coolant hole deleted
   so
   A Cleveland or A3/B351/C302 heads can be used on Windsor block.
   A M-6051-B341: Same as B331 but for blocks bored to up to 4.125"
   (Fontana,
   A Dart, or Ford Motorsport race blocks).A  Bore flange valve pockets
   have been
   A added to unshroud intake and exhaust valves.A  Unique right and left
   hand
   A gaskets.
   A Note: Both B331 and B341 can be used on Cleveland blocks if modified
   per
   A supplied instructions.
   Intake Gaskets:
   A The Ford Motorsport intake gaskets for A3 heads were part number
   M-9439-A341
   A but are no longer available.A  Fel Pro makes two intake gasket sets
   for the
   A Motorsport high port heads.A  1229 is listed for A3 heads but the
   port opening
   A measures the close to C302B heads (1.35" x 2.20").A  1265 is listed
   for B351
   A and C302B heads but the port size is listed as 1.35" x 2.22".A
   Consider both
   A to be trim-to-fit for larger intake port openings.A  P/N 1229 has
   round holes
   A on both ends in case you run coolant through the intake (like a
   Windsor block).
   A Also, 1229 comes with a tube of black RTV but no end seals.A  Both
   1229 and 1265
   A are 0.060" thick.A  Fel Pro makes similar intake gaskets in thinner
   (12531 is
   A 0.030", FEL-12532 and 1253S2 are 0.045") and thicker (12535 is
   0.120") sizes
   A for Yates heads that could probably be adapted if you need to
   compensate for
   A head or intake milling.
   Exhaust gaskets:
   A Fel Pro p/n 1417: A3 cylinder heads (1.94" diameter round port size)
   A Fel Pro p/n 1431: B351/C302 cylinder heads (1.81" diameter round port
   size)
   A Fel Pro p/n 1433: Yates cylinder heads (1.86" x 1.68" port size)
   A Note: Both 1417 and 1431 have the late style bolt pattern.A  The only
   A difference is the size of the hole.
   Another gasket that might come in handy is the double thick valve cover
   gaskets.A  If you have clearance issues with roller rockers and your
   valve
   covers, Fel-Pro makes part number 1636, a thick three layer
   (cork-metal-cork)
   valve cover gasket which improves clearance.
   Other stuff you may or may not know about, high port heads require one
   inch
   longer head bolts/studs (use hardened washers).A  A3's, B351's, and
   early
   versions of the C302 heads had one short bolt.A  Later C302B's got
   common
   length bolts.A  The high port heads come with combustion face and front
   and
   rear coolant outlets which get plugged with aluminum pipe plugs as
   needed.
   Where the plugs go is a function of the block, whether or not the
   intake
   has a coolant cross-over, and whether or not you run a remote coolant
   cross
   -over.A  For instance, if you put high port heads on a Windsor style
   block
   with a coolant cross-over manifold, the plugs go in the ends and the
   combustion face and a 0.8" hole is drilled at the coolant cross-over.
   The supplied instructions illustrate the options.A  Use a thread sealer
   and
   make sure the plug is below or level with the deck surface.A  On
   Cleveland
   blocks, pipe plugs go in the holes on the ends of the heads (coolant
   goes
   from block to head, intake is dry).A  Also an external (not in
   manifold)
   coolant crossover can be used (M-85920A351) to take water out the front
   of
   the heads.
   Dan JonesA A

   On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 11:54 PM, Christopher Kimball
   <[3]chrisvkimball at msn.com> wrote:

     A  A Hi again, everyone,
     A  A One of our club members, Dave Goodwin, has some questions about
     heads.
     A  A  I know pictures don't usually work through this forum, but if
     you
     A  A contact Dave, he can send you some pictures.
     A  A I'm not much of a mechanic, but if you can be of help to Dave,
     that
     A  A would be great, thanks!
     A  A Sincerely,
     A  A Chris
     A  A PNW President
     A  A
     A __________________________________________________________________
     A  A Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2014 22:37:48 +0000
     A  A From: [4]goodwinpantera at comcast.net
     A  A To: [5]chrisvkimball at msn.com
     A  A Subject: Ford aluminum heads
     A  A Chris, I have been trying to find some information on a set of
     heads
     A  A that are aluminum for the 351C and have a Ford part number.
     E2ZM 6049
     A  A B3. I looks at a Pantera website and they discussed the C3 but
     not the
     A  A B3 head. Anyway they look like they would work without all the
     special
     A  A (YATES) hardware. Also picked up a Jack Roush intake with a
     Ford part
     A  A number M-9424-A351. Here are some pics please enlighten me.
     A  A Dave Goodwin