[DeTomaso] FW: Moment of (sad) truth

Andy May andymay24 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 06:21:48 EDT 2014

Robert,

Don't make the assumption that your oil gauge indication bears any
relationship to what oil pressure you actually have at the engine! Speaking
from personal experience, the problem may very well be the oil pressure
sender. Mine was jumping around all over - especially when hot - which I
could not understand with my reasonably freshly built engine. I replaced
the electrical sender (a standard ford part) and also fitted an additional
mechanical gauge via a T-connector just as a means of "positive checking"
as I had lost confidence in the electrical one. Result - 55psi normal
running and 40-45psi hot idle on the mechanical gauge and a much happier
owner! The standard pantera gauge continues to present an approximation of
pressure, but at least now its a pretty stable approximation!

I suggest you hook up a mechanical gauge and check your oil pressure with
this before you tear into the motor.

Kind regards

Andy