[DeTomaso] De Tomaso Market Vlaues

michael at michaelshortt.com michael at michaelshortt.com
Wed Jul 16 17:10:36 EDT 2014

Jonathan Root's car sold for $300,000 by him  and resold for $331,000

http://mycarquest.com/2013/12/de-tomaso-mangusta-for-sale-at-auction-in-london-sold.html

Michael Shortt

--

Michael L. Shortt
Savannah, Georgia
michael at michaelshortt.com
912-232-9390

   Jonathan Root's car sold for $300,000 by him A and resold for $331,000
   [1]http://mycarquest.com/2013/12/de-tomaso-mangusta-for-sale-at-auction
[...]

     That price was widely watched. A That same car then resold (private
     sales) a couple of times
     in the following year at prices below that figure, but likely above
     $200,000 U$D.
     This specific car sort of started the new Mangusta trend.
     Since then... There have been 3-4 Mangustas that have sold for more
     than $200,000 U$D.
     Most recently another Apple Green at RM in Monaco I believe $245,000
     U$D.
     So the price of one car is one thing, the price for several becomes
     a "trend".
     Mangustas that are highly desirable are those (represented) with low
     mileage, and restored condition,
     or original condition. A There are just not that many Mangustas, so
     with "fewer" sellers,
     and more buyers naturally the values rise. A It is also a thin
     market.
     Pantera values are still "all over the map" because they have been
     modified, and as such are subject to personal taste and make it
     hard to compare. A What was "hot" in the 1980's is so out of vogue
     today.
     Collectors and speculators who both are not buying a Pantera to
     drive, but to "invest"
     have "noticed" the Pantera, and are now pushing up the market for
     clean, near-stock, low mileage cars. A There seems to be no
     emphasis on a particular Pantera model (such as Push-Buttons).
     Recently the auctions for Panteras has been heating up, and thus
     even "less-than-accurately" described cars but with low listed
     mileage, are seeing strong demand.
     As always, there are those sellers or dealers that offer a
     particular car for sale well above current market value. A These
     cars are
     on the market for a long time. A No surprise.
     But at some point market value catches up to them (unless the dealer
     continues to keep their asking price above market price) and
     they finally sell.
     One of the benefits of the registry, is that it allows potential
     buyers to see a variety of
     "comparables" (as to features, not value), so they better understand
     what is the right car for them, and thus assists in the
     eventual sale/purchase. A An educated buyer is a better buyer.
     I also notice an interesting trend...
     Cars that have some history in the registry tend to sell better
     (higher price, quicker sale) than
     cars with no documented history. A This comes as no surprise to me,
     naturally.
     While I have been strongly resisting including sales price on the
     Detail & Photo page, I do get asked all the time, "What is it
     worth?". A Like we all learned in Econ 101, the value is what a
     willing buyer and willing seller agree to, (at that specific moment
     in time.)
     Chuck
     Well for me it was today. I had a client of mine ask his son about
     Pantera's and he told him that I had one and to call me. I talked
     to him about the cars and he said he was looking at getting one to
     add to his collection. I told him to come by and look at mine so
     that if he was going to buy one he could see one up close and with a
     lot of upgrades. He and his wife came by last week and he was
     very impressed with mine. One thing led to another an he said the
     magic words Is yours for sale. Well I hadn't thought about in a
     while but knowing that I would sell it some day I said sure and
     threw out a A number. He didn't blink and said let me think about it
     over night. Next day he countered with a very generous offer and I
     said sure. The car will remain in Charleston. I can move on to
     other projects. I still have the 442 convertible and am in the
     process of building a 16' wooden race boat patterned after the Donzi
     classic 16. It has been a pleasure to be a part of the pantera
     community. I want to thank all that have helped me over the past 10
     years. The collective knowledge and wisdom is extraordinary. There's
     nothing we can't figure out. I do have parts and pieces that
     did not go with the car. Also some that came off the car. I will try
     and post the items from time time for the group rather than
     E-bay them. If interested you can contact me. Again thank you all.
     Long live the pantera. A Mike Murray
     Mike Murray
     American Dock & Marine Construction, Inc.
     [5](843) 795-2999
     [6]www.americandock.net

   --
   Michael L. Shortt
   Savannah, Georgia
   [10]michael at michaelshortt.com
   912-232-9390
   privileged.A  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
   notified
   communication is strictly prohibited.A  Please reply to the sender that
   you
   have received this message in error, then delete it.A  Thank you