[DeTomaso] De Tomaso Market Vlaues

The DeTomaso Registry Guy detomasoregistry at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 16:41:46 EDT 2014

Values for De Tomaso cars are rising.

While Mike Murray probably sold his car at a fair price, there may be owners out there that
don't know what the current values are, and may let there car go, thinking that they
got a great price, when in reality they sold 'cheap' by current market standards.

I am not aware of what the last couple of Vallelungas sold for.
Maybe Mike Drew can help, I think he has assisted in a recent (last 12 months) sale or two.
The market is sooo thin that it is hard to determine their value based upon "comparables".

Mangustas have done REALLY well at European auctions this past couple of years.
(Mangustas have typically sold for much higher prices in Europe than in the USA.)
It started with one car (Apple Green) which sold at auction for something near $300,000 U$D.
That price was widely watched.  That same car then resold (private sales) a couple of times
in the following year at prices below that figure, but likely above $200,000 U$D.

This specific car sort of started the new Mangusta trend.

Since then... There have been 3-4 Mangustas that have sold for more than $200,000 U$D.
Most recently another Apple Green at RM in Monaco I believe $245,000 U$D.

So the price of one car is one thing, the price for several becomes a "trend".

Mangustas that are highly desirable are those (represented) with low mileage, and restored condition,
or original condition.  There are just not that many Mangustas, so with "fewer" sellers,
and more buyers naturally the values rise.  It is also a thin market.

Pantera values are still "all over the map" because they have been modified, and as such are subject to personal taste and make it
hard to compare.  What was "hot" in the 1980's is so out of vogue today.
Collectors and speculators who both are not buying a Pantera to drive, but to "invest"
have "noticed" the Pantera, and are now pushing up the market for clean, near-stock, low mileage cars.  There seems to be no
emphasis on a particular Pantera model (such as Push-Buttons).

Recently the auctions for Panteras has been heating up, and thus even "less-than-accurately" described cars but with low listed
mileage, are seeing strong demand.

As always, there are those sellers or dealers that offer a particular car for sale well above current market value.  These cars are
on the market for a long time.  No surprise.
But at some point market value catches up to them (unless the dealer continues to keep their asking price above market price) and
they finally sell.

One of the benefits of the registry, is that it allows potential buyers to see a variety of
"comparables" (as to features, not value), so they better understand what is the right car for them, and thus assists in the
eventual sale/purchase.  An educated buyer is a better buyer.

I also notice an interesting trend...
Cars that have some history in the registry tend to sell better (higher price, quicker sale) than
cars with no documented history.  This comes as no surprise to me, naturally.

While I have been strongly resisting including sales price on the Detail & Photo page, I do get asked all the time, "What is it
worth?".  Like we all learned in Econ 101, the value is what a willing buyer and willing seller agree to, (at that specific moment
in time.)

Chuck