[DeTomaso] FW: Moment of (sad) truth

Robert Stroj npdrs at maui.net
Wed Jul 16 14:20:59 EDT 2014

Hi,

First thanks to all for your suggestions and sorry for delay on coming back;
was two weeks traveling without the internet connection.

My engine is not the one that was in the car; it is a  4 bolt 351C, here are
all the engine  spec as I got them from a previous owner:

Engine

CUI                  :           351 Cleveland 4V

Heads  :           Australian (3) valve aluminum polished heads

                                    ($1,995)

                        :           Polish ($175)

Intake  :           Polished aluminum Hi-Rise ($525)

                        :           Polish ($175)

Carb                 :           780 CFM Holley 4-barrel carburetor

                                    ($512.99 Inc Shipping)

Cable   :           PI MotorSport Throttle Cable ($155)

Valves :           Stainless Steel Exhaust/Intake valves ($900)

Cam                 :           ISKY Solid Roller Camshaft with Lifters
($275)

                                    Custom grind

Rockers           :           Roller Rockers ($275)

Chain   :           Duel Roller Chain ($57)

Exhaust           :           GTS Coated Headers and Mufflers ($850)

Water Pump:   Aluminum High Flow ($208.65)

Radiator          :           Aluminum Radiator Assembly Pantera

                                    Performance ($1,108.90)

Starter :           High Performance Starter ($165)

Oil Pan            :           10 Quart oil pan with windage tray ($400)

Ignition            :           Mallory Unilite Distributor, Mallory Coil,
Mallory Spark

                                    Plug Wires ($280)

What I am the most worried about is the thing that car dies on idle after
being driven hard and then it is really hard to start; once did not start at
all.

When hot like this it turns really hard, as if the battery would be low, but
when cold it turns really well; my worry is that bearings could be really
worn and once the oil gets thin it increases the friction inside the engine.

The oil pressure gauge drops really low; when hot idling it just jumps
between 0 and ¼ of the gauge.

It all looks like I will need to do a complete rebuild and will be looking
to see which are good parts that I could successfully reuse; this is why
Brent’s motor configuration is really interesting as it uses same heads and
intake manifold.

I just got a lead to person that had a racing team using Mustang in German
Turing championship and is willing to help; hope to meet him next week.

All the best, Robert