[DeTomaso] Cleveland HP limits

Boyd Casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 22:57:31 EDT 2014

Chuck,
I am working on a build using a sound 4 bolt main, forged crank, shot
peened and polished rods , Ported A3 heads built with high quality roller
rockers a springs, Forged flat top springs, Arp fasteners melling oil pump,
180 degree headers, a cust ground HR roller cam and lifters. And an IR efi
system. The reason for my question is because the dynomation predicts HP in
the 550- 600 range @ 6500 rpm. Someone said to me that they thought 500 hp
was the safe limit for a stock Cleveland iron block. I have heard of
stroked Cleveland iron blocks making over 600 hp so was curious to know if
there was an accepted HP limit that one would be advised not to exceed. (
Like piston speed) Not how much HP or torque CAN be made but how much can
the block withstand (assuming you are using the best parts so that the
block would fail before the rotating assembly or a valve something like one
of the mains letting go or the engine exploding. I hope this makes my
question more clear.