[DeTomaso] Flare fitting question

Larry Finch fresnofinches at aol.com
Fri Jul 11 14:15:35 EDT 2014

Tom,

I strongly second Ken's guess on your upper condenser fitting incorporating the adapter shown in Ken's eBay link.

As far as I know, these are not used in OEM systems so your A/C shop may not even know they exist.

When I installed the CCS evaporator, purchased through Wilkinson, I found they had included just such an adapter for one of the
Freon fittings.

When I phoned CCS, I was told the proper flare fitting was not available, so they used the eBay adapter and a newer o-ring fitting as a work around. I have not noticed any leaking at the adapter.

>From your photo, it looks like the o-ring in your photo is black. I'm thinking it should be one of the light green o-rings as are used on
the newer o-ring fittings. If it is a common black rubber o-ring, it may not be resistant to the R-12 chemical properties.

Also, the aluminum flare surface in your photo also seems to have a small shoulder near its base; that may be the cause of your leak.

John already commented on the AN to flare degree mis-match. If in fact your A/C shop truly did use a AN fitting, that may be the cause of the shoulder that appears on the adapter in your photo.

And if they did in fact use a AN fitting, that be a reason to look for a more knowledgeable shop, too?

As for the ninety-degree issue, perhaps you can just cut it off and have a skilled TIG welder attach a straight fitting? If you can't find a proper male flare fitting, you may still have to use a male o-ring fitting and the eBay-style adapter.

If you can reorient the fitting to aim to the right (instead of down) you may find your hose is long enough to reach it. If the re-oriented fitting can be returned to a male-flare, you can use the existing female-flare hose-end fitting.

If you still have to retain a male o-ring fitting and the eBay adapter, see if you have enough hose length to cut off the stock female flare fitting and replace it with a female o-ring fitting.

In either case, if your re-oriented fitting would still be just a little bit too short with the available hose length, consider adding a TIG-welded nipple to extend the fitting as needed to mate with old/new hose fitting.

I'll bet money you have the eBay adapter piece, and therein (wrong o-ring and/or deformed adapter flare surface) lies your leak issue.

Larry