[DeTomaso] Need temp sender part number

Stephen Nelson steve at snclocks.com
Fri Jul 11 10:03:45 EDT 2014

Back in September of 2013 Asa Jay Laughton recommended an Echlin TS6628 (he
added an extra "S" - see e-mail chain below) for a replacement temperature
sender for a car with a 260 F temperature gauge.  Well, as luck would have
it, I have a 230 F gauge on 5332.  But, talked to Dennis with Panty Perf -
he said he used the same sender for both gauges.

So, I ran right down to NAPA and bought one.  And set up an experiment to
compare the new one with the sender that came with my car:

Had a mechanical temperature gauge (checked calibration - showed 211 with
water boiling) and both senders in the aluminum cup with water covering up
to the threads on the senders and with the mechanical temperature gauge down
in the water.  Used the screw driver to stir the water.  Checked resistance
(using an ohm meter) and readings on the gauge in the car at a range of
temperatures.

Used two ohm meters to check resistivity of the two senders, but found the
digital Fluke to be the most repeatable.

Yup - my original sender was toast.  With 200F water it indicated 125 to 160
on the gauge in the car.  It sort of wandered slowly around.  With 116F
water it showed 90 on the gauge in the car.

Then I took the data on the new sender and plotted it in Excel:

Bottom line - the new sender showed 195F on the gauge with boiling water.
That is, assuming the hash mark between the 160 and 230 is 195, and the hack
between 90 and 160 is 125.  With the sender immersed in boiling water the
gauge read right on the upper hack mark.

Or - well, perhaps the upper hack mark is meant to be the boiling point of
water.  I tried a linear interpolation for the hash marks - bottom one came
out 115 F, top one 205 F.  So, given the inaccuracies of both my work and
the real world - looks like maybe the top hash is meant to be the boiling
point of water.  The bottom one?  Well, I checked, 115 F translates to 46 C.
No help there.  But then too, since when do we care about accurate engine
temperatures down around 100 F anyway.

Whilst I realize this is all pretty rough, and I am sure someone else could
do a lot better job of it (and that I will hear lots of suggestions on how
to improve on it), at least it gives me a clue where my car's temperature
gauge sits with the new sender.

Stephen Nelson