[DeTomaso] NPC: Tesla Car Assembly...

Boyd Casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 14:40:06 EDT 2014

Terry,
I am not knocking NASA , but I have to admire a guy with the talent and
imagination to pursue such "Lofty goals" Pun intended! Mr. Musk recently
appeared before congress ( since the Ukraine situation) and made a big
point of our dependence on the Russians for delivering US ( and all other)
astronauts to the ISS.  (using their outdated technology) I'm sure he
realizes that he will need substantial Government investment or contracts
if he hopes to reach his goals. Certainly being provided access and use of
the US's tracking and communication facilities would play a huge part in
reducing space -X's  capital outlay. A Billionaire who just wants to make
more money could do many things that have a greater potential for profit
then investing in privately held Space exploration endeavors . The fact
that he has an estimated $100 million of his own money invested in Space -X
shows some Jupiter sized Ballls! He has an estimate $5 Billion in tesla
holding 27% of the stock and  a huge investment in Solar City. According to
forbes his estimated net worth  is around $11.4 billion up around 47% JUST
THIS YEAR! So no matter how much of his "mars by 2026" is hype  or how much
is based on his incredible optimism you have to hand it to this guy for
dong something right. And not spending his money on huge estates and
chasing women. He has a wife and children and seems really devoted to
advancing mankind through science and technology. We need more Billionaires
like him!
Boyd

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-02-26/as-tesla-shares-hit-250-ceo-elon-musk-makes-1-dot-1-billion

On Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 2:10 PM, Himes, Terry (397C) <
terry.himes at jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:

> [...]
> Cc: "detomaso at poca.com" <detomaso at poca.com>
>
> Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] NPC: Tesla Car Assembly...
>
>   There is no question that Elon Musk is a genius. Between his first
> commercial success (a video game he made as a teen ager), to Pay pal ,
> which made him a billionaire, to Tesla, Solar City, and Space -X (which I
> think is the coolest by far) the guy is absolutely brilliant. His fist
> Tesla roadster was made on the lotus Elise platform. His later models are
> proprietary designs. There 0-60 times are impressive. The 2013 model S
> sedan does 0-60 in 3.9 and the quarter mile in 12.4 sec !
> http://www.zeroto60times.com/Tesla-Electric-Cars-0-60-mph-Times.html   The
> 2013 model S broke the crash test machinery ! It had the best results ever
> recorded http://www.wired.com/2013/08/tesla-model-s-crash-test/
> His Space X rocket the Falcon 9 takes off, and the space craft  (the
> dragon) travels to to the international space station( by robotic control )
> unloads supplies and brings back waste and experiments. It's missions so
> far have been unmanned but it can fly both robotically and by pilots (in a
> future version Dragon 2) The Dragon 2 space craft will eventually be able
> to carry a crew of 7 who will be able to have some limited control over the
> space craft. I think it's absolutely amazing that this has been
> accomplished by a privately owned company ( Space -X is not publicly
> traded) . Only in the U.S.A.!  Tesla at a PEG of 2900 seems crazy , but
> there are many tech companies that have no PEG because they have still to
> operate at a profit!
> So who knows but it's a little to risky for my blood.  But as an individual
> I think Elon Musk is  a manto watch. He invested a huge portion of his own
> money into Space X and has predicted they will make a manned  flight to
> Mars by 2026 ( that's 10 years ahead of NASA's prediction). He named his
> space craft Dragon after the peter , paul, and mary song "Puff the magic
> dragon" because critics said his Space -X rocket would never get off the
> ground!
>
>  Boyd
>

>  On Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 10:31 AM, Asa Jay Laughton <asajay at asajay.com>
> wrote:
>
>  There were two Teslas that ran this year at the Nevada Open Road
> Challenge; one in the 105 class and one in the 95 class.  Both
> finished.  I'm told by course workers that all you heard was tire noise
> coming down the road.
>
>  Asa  Jay
>
>  Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired
> & Shelley Marie
> Spokane, WA
> ******************************
> http://www.racingagainstautism.com
> http://www.teampanteraracing.com
> http://facebook.com/racingagainstautism
>

>  On 7/3/2014 10:55 PM, Christopher Kimball wrote:
> >    I wasn't too impressed with BMWs electric, either.  Or
> >    Harley-Davidson's new electric bike.  It has about a 50-mile range!

   and all other) astronauts to the ISS. A (using their outdated
   technology) I'm sure he realizes that he will need substantial
   Government investment or contracts if he hopes to reach his goals.
   Certainly being provided access and use of the US's tracking and
   communication facilities would play a huge part in reducing space -X's
   A capital outlay. A Billionaire who just wants to make more money could
   do many things that have a greater potential for profit then investing
   in privately held Space exploration endeavors . The fact that he has an
   estimated $100 million of his own money invested in Space -X shows some
   Jupiter sized Ballls! He has an estimate $5 Billion in tesla holding
   27% of the stock and A a huge investment in Solar City. According to
   forbes his estimated net worth A is around $11.4 billion up around 47%
   JUST THIS YEAR! So no matter how much of his "mars by 2026" is hype
   A or how much is based on his incredible optimism you have to hand it
   [1]http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-02-26/as-tesla-shares-hit-