[DeTomaso] Seals

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Thu Jul 3 15:23:15 EDT 2014

Two problems with stock clutch slave cylinders. First, they are made of some sort of pre-rusted iron. Pits form immediately even in the box. Second, when you hone out the pits that tear up seals, the resulting bore is often either too oversized for new replacement seals to fit, or the honed bore becomes cone-shaped front-to-back. So the repair usually leaks within a week. And since the clutch hydraulics wear out as a system, fixing the slave often causes a matching master to begin leaking.

The REAL Fix is to find a slave (or master) that does not instantly corrode: hard-anodized aluminum or a steel or brass liner pressed in a stocker. This has been a problem since the Pantera was still in production. All the above 'fixes' applies to clutch masters too. Some originality-freaks use silicone fluid in non-leaking clutches only. Clutch pressures are low enough so the stuff works half-way-decently on the street, unlike in brakes. But I wouldn't drive Silver State events with silicone fluids anywhere in my car.