[DeTomaso] Control arm bushings

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Wed Jul 2 03:21:55 EDT 2014

The idea is simple, John. The Pantera was delivered with far too little caster for the size of the tires now being used and the speeds the car can attain. So stability problems often show up. The max caster a Pantera can have adjusted in is about  -2.6 degrees. This is roughly half what has been found to work well and is about 1/3 what most Corvettes of the period used. The mitigating fact is, as caster is added, steering effort goes up and 'Vettes mostly have power steering....

By using offset upper a-arm bushings, caster can go to about -4 degrees (but is adjustable back down if required, by shifting ball joint shims), and shaving the inner edge of the upper balljoint carrier offsets it a further -0.5 degree or so back. This combination does not make steering too heavy at low speeds and does stabilize the steering at high speeds as well as eliminating shimmy and tram-lining, especially with very wide front tires. Offsetting the lower a-arms as well as the uppers can add another 1-1/2 degrees for around  -6 degrees total, which in my opinion DOES make low and medium speed steering uncomfortably heavy unless you add power steering.

There are a host of other adjustments that can be done to our rather sophisticated suspensions (mostly the front) to trim it to virtually everyone's preferences: bump-steering, ackermann-toe, caster/camber/toe-in and others. I've written articles about them in the past and have tried them all on our '72 L model street car (my wife is also a driver of our car) so there should be no surprises to anyone. E-mail me privately for any details you're curious about- most here have heard it all before. Cheers- J Deryke, POCA Tech Editor