[DeTomaso] FW: Moment of (sad) truth

John Taphorn jtaphorn at kingwoodcable.com
Tue Jul 1 22:15:04 EDT 2014

Regarding your ZF slipping out of third.  I've rebuilt several of these
boxes and can offer a little insight.

First - Check to ensure the trunion bearing is tightly in place.

Second - Ensure that when in neutral the shift shaft is dead center
north and south in the gate.  If not adjust so it is centered.

Thirdly - Do you know if the rear plate of the ZF has been removed or
the ZF rebuilt?  On my first ZF rebuild, I improperly installed the
spring for the 3rd gear shifter pad.  I installed it out of order and
the spring was compromised not allowing full pressure on the detent.  It
is a small spring, yet when not properly tensioned allows the third gear
shifter shaft to slide out of place.  I encountered the same problem
that you are experiencing.  It was easy to hold in place with my hand
resting against the shifter in third gear.

It was not a difficult fix and the part is inexpensive; yet, required
removal of the ZF and minor dis assembly of the ZF.

I hope it is one or two.

JT