[DeTomaso] FW: Moment of (sad) truth

Boyd Casey boyd411 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 20:05:35 EDT 2014

Robert,
Do you know if your 71 engine was the original engine that came with your
Pantera? (a numbers matching engine). Around 90% of the Cleveland engines
made were not "high performance" engines. This link explains how to help
determine what type of engine yours was originally. Cleveland guide
<http://www.ebay.com/gds/Ford-351-Cleveland-Engines-Key-Facts-Information-/10000000001410755/g.html>
even though your engine has good heads it may have low compression pistons.
You will only know what you actually have when you get inside your engine.
In the meantime you can do a compression check to make sure all your 8
cylinders have close to the same compression. You should also start with a
good tune up. make sure you have the right plugs, make sure your timing is
set correctly. Depending on your cam a 7550 CFM carb may be to big for your
engine ( with a stock 351 ci displacement  and depending on your pistons
compression ratio and your cam 750 cfm may be to big. Lots of people thing
bigger is better. To big a carb will do much more harm then good when it
comes to losing power.  You also want to be sure your carb is jetted and
set properly. Getting the most out of an engine is like navigating. You
have to know where you are , before you can figure out how to get where you
want to go. So you have to know what you have before you can figure out how
to get the most out of it! HP numbers are just numbers. Torque really means
a lot more but the way the engine runs and how the car drives is a lot more
important then any dyne numbers. You want a car wit good throttle response,
a car that revs up quickly when you hit the gas. Find a local mechanic that
knows Cleveland engines and preferably Panteras as well. Figure out what
you actually have and how to maximize it before you start throwing money at
it. There are lots of good books on how to build Cleveland engines as well
as some great web sites dedicated to Cleveland engines.  Check out
Clevelands forever (google it) or 351C.net. there are also numerous books
available at Amazon.com. You can also find loads of free info on various
forums on he web for free!
Good Luck!
Boyd

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 3:23 PM, Pantdino via DeTomaso <detomaso at poca.com>
wrote:

>    It is a Holley vacuum secondary unit fitted by Steve Wilkinson-- he
>    said jetted for a Pantera.

   originally.A [1]Cleveland guideA  even though your engine has good
   heads it may have low compression pistons. You will only know what you
   actually have when you get inside your engine. In the meantime you can
   do a compression check to make sure all your 8 cylinders have close to
   the same compression. You should also start with a good tune up. make
   sure you have the right plugs, make sure your timing is set correctly.
   Depending on your cam a 7550 CFM carb may be to big for your engine (
   with a stock 351 ci displacement A and depending on your pistons
   compression ratio and your cam 750 cfm may be to big. Lots of people
   thing bigger is better. To big a carb will do much more harm then good
   when it comes to losing power. A You also want to be sure your carb is
   jetted and set properly. Getting the most out of an engine is like
   navigating. You have to know where you are , before you can figure out
   how to get where you want to go. So you have to know what you have
   before you can figure out how to get the most out of it! HP numbers are
   just numbers. Torque really means a lot more but the way the engine
   runs and how the car drives is a lot more important then any dyne
   numbers. You want a car wit good throttle response, a car that revs up
   quickly when you hit the gas. Find a local mechanic that knows
   Cleveland engines and preferably Panteras as well. Figure out what you
   actually have and how to maximize it before you start throwing money at
   it. There are lots of good books on how to build Cleveland engines as
   well as some great web sites dedicated to Cleveland engines. A Check