[DeTomaso] Stack injection units

Kirby Schrader kirby.schrader at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 12:40:26 EDT 2014

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 11:36 AM, <shawkins777 at comcast.net> wrote:

>    Kirby,
>    I have to do the same with mine, it makes sense to me that you have to
>    take fuel out during low loads on the engine.  At low loads you don't
>    have to worry as much about going lean so you can run a lot leaner.

Hmmm.... maybe. My thinking was that the combination of the throttle
position sensor and the manifold vacuum should do that automagically.
It doesn't though...

You certainly could be right!  :-)

   On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 11:36 AM, <[1]shawkins777 at comcast.net> wrote:

     A  A Kirby,
     A  A I have to do the same with mine, it makes sense to me that you
     have to
     A  A take fuel out during low loads on the engine. A At low loads
     you don't
     A  A have to worry as much about going lean so you can run a lot
     leaner.

   Hmmm.... maybe. My thinking was that the combination of the throttle
   position sensor and the manifold vacuum should do that automagically.
   It doesn't though...
   You certainly could be right! A :-)
   A _____________________________________________

     A  A From: "Kirby Schrader" <[2]kirby.schrader at gmail.com>
     A  A To: "Daniel C Jones" <[3]daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com>
     A  A Cc: "Panteras" <[4]detomaso at poca.com>
     A  A Sent: Tuesday, July 1, 2014 11:23:41 AM

   A  A Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] Stack injection units

     A  A A couple of comments to Dan's email.
     A  A On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 10:50 AM, Daniel C Jones
     A  A <[5]daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com>
     A  A wrote:
     A  A >
     A  A > A non-linear throttle linkage is a must.
     A  A >
     A  A Most definitely!
     A  A I drove my Pantera for years with a side pull linkage.
     A  A It was a PITA to drive around town at low speeds. Just a small
     push of
     A  A the
     A  A pedal
     A  A made too much happen too fast.
     A  A With Mike Trusty's help, I converted it to a center pull
     progressive
     A  A setup
     A  A and it's a different car entirely.
     A  A The later TWM setups come with a wheel mounted in the center
     which
     A  A works
     A  A very, very well.
     A  A I have that on my GT40.
     A  A > A  A To date, we have not been successful in getting Kelly's
     A  A Electromotive
     A  A > A  A unit sorted.A A We swapped ECU's, software, various
     hardware bits,
     A  A etcs
     A  A > A  A all to no avail.A A Mike Trusty even came in to do some
     diagnostics
     A  A but
     A  A > A  A was unable to find the problem.
     A  A Wow... I know the pain.
     A  A When I installed my GT40 Electromotive system, I fought with it
     for
     A  A three
     A  A months. Literally.
     A  A Changed ECU's, cursed, pulled hair and other things and no
     change.
     A  A I finally found the problem. The harness was built poorly and
     there was
     A  A an
     A  A intermittent
     A  A connection at the plug where it went into the ECU.
     A  A Got a replacement harness (had to re-wire everything, of
     course) and
     A  A everything worked fine.
     A  A Painful experience....
     A  A Another thing I've noticed with both my IR systems... and had
     it
     A  A confirmed
     A  A by another GT40 owner with a similar setup.
     A  A There's a 'hole' in the VE table. Both of my cars have it.
     A  A The response at full throttle is damned near linear.
     A  A However, both engines run way too rich at cruise speeds and I
     have to
     A  A take
     A  A out a lot of fuel at lower rpms and high manifold vacuum.
     A  A I don't know why, I just know that's the way the engines
     respond.
     A  A Easy to adjust, just goes against most advice I received.
     A  A FWIW,
     A  A Kirby
     A  A >

   A  A > A  On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 7:23 AM, Kirby Schrader