[DeTomaso] Stack injection units

Kirby Schrader kirby.schrader at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 12:10:49 EDT 2014

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 10:51 AM, Boyd Casey <boyd411 at gmail.com> wrote:

> My best  is reliable

All the systems I've used or read about are reliable in terms of not
failing.
As mentioned, my F9A failed, but it was over 15 years old, so I didn't feel
too bad....

> , ease of tune

Some systems advertise that you just start it up and it'll 'tune itself'.
I find this hard to believe... the setup would already have to be close
just so the wideband could handle the AFR.
I keep asking for someone to demonstrate such an amazing system to me. To
date, nothing.
Car companies have a team of engineers and they test drive all over the
country to get their EFI systems tuned.
If there was a 'magic system', why buy anything else?

> , best horsepower

That will depend on the throttle bodies you choose, the manifold and the
injector size.

> ease of upgrading  to higher capacity injectors in the event of a cam
> change or other change that would require  higher lb injectors.

That should be easy if you use Bosch injectors. I put bigger ones in my
Pantera with the new, more HP engine and it was simply a case of pull the
old ones out and put the new ones in. Then go tune again.

>  Personally I like the set ups that use modified Weber's vs Plastic
> throttle bodies

Plastic throttle bodies... never seen such an animal. I guess I don't get
out enough.
:-)))

> , but I don't know much about them except they are expensive and are
> supposed to improve fuel economy and will stay in tune with atmospheric
>  pressure changes.  Ideally I would like a system that gives performance
> comparable to Weber's but without the tuning difficulties there are
> infamous for.

I tuned my Pantera with the Haltech system years ago and I never touched it
again for years.
It started first time, every time and ran great.
The initial tuning is always the hardest. Having a full day on a dyno is
nice, but prohibitively expensive to me.
Getting the wide open throttle setting is easy on a dyno though.
Getting the rest of the tune working is a case of driving around in real
conditions and tweaking a little bit at a time.
I say that only because I've done two of my own and helped on another's EFI
systems.

> I would also like a setup that isn't more expensive then it needs to be.

If you want to go with the 'stack' setup, you'll be spending money.
Guaranteed.
The 4bbl replacement options are mucho cheaper.

FWIW,
Kirby