[DeTomaso] Sacrificial Zinc anode

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Mon Jan 27 19:57:49 EST 2014

Galvanic corrosion is not magic, and it exists. Try this on your DeTomaso (or Toyota, for that matter): with a GOOD VOM set on the lowest possible milliamp scale, ground one lead and insert the other in the surge-tank opening so the needle is underwater and not touching any metal. If the reading you get is above 75 milliamps- of unpowered electrical current flow within your cooling system- you will benefit from a sacrificial anode. A reading below 50 milliamps probably will not benefit. Corvette owners who have run aluminum radiators and aluminum heads since the late '60s well know this phenomenon, and Corvette shops sell a lot of such anodes. Zinc is OK but magnesium is better (and more expensive). This home VOM-test above came from one of the largest Corvette specialty shops in the U.S.

Some areas of the country have such corrosive water, Fluidyne and other alloy rad makers have seen brand new radiators fail within a year from internal corrosion, even with fresh 50% anti-freeze inside (or so they're told during warranty returns). That's why, at some expense to the manufacturers, they now include a free bottle of concentrated anti-corrosion chemicals with each alloy radiator. It is usually but not always good for a year before it needs to be drained and replenished. 'Pure' distilled water is not recommended either- that stuff is 'activated' and is almost as bad as Coca-Cola at dissolving aluminum. De-ionized water is best. Check your local water sometime with a scrap piece of aluminum. Bubbles indicate the scrap is dissolving and it happens faster with higher temps- like in a running engine @200F.

A second check: while the VOM is connected to your cooling system and you are getting a reading, turn on your headlights. Did the reading jump? If so, something in that circuit of your electrical system is poorly grounded, By progressively unplugging one thing after another on the specific circuit, it can be located. Bad electrical grounds or 'ground loops' can apparently join with galvanic corrosion to make things worse.

Note- this test depends entirely on using a sensitive VOM; a $9 cheapo-meter from Radio Shack will not work because it's too insensitive to read milli-amps of current flow. The best you'll get is a flicker of needle movement. If you don't own a sensitive VOM, borrow one for a minute- that's all such a check takes. Our Pantera in northern CA showed 48 milliamps of current flow, and I found bad grounds on tail lights and side marker lights. When we moved to northern Nevada, the test showed 38 milliamps- better water I guess. Certainly tastes better....